Ubuntu on first drive, proftpd and ftp files on another disk drive

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Poliman, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Poliman

Poliman Member

Hi. I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the SSD drive. Now I want to add two HDD disks WD Gold and make RAID1 from them. After this I would like to install all needed software as proftpd (maybe mysql, apache too but not now) on RAID which will be created. Besides I would like to have files transferred via ftp on the RAID matrix not SSD disk which is only for Ubuntu. How to provide above installation and saving files?

2. can't say how to install on the HDD because I installed all on SSD and then use the HDD for the data. If you're using lvm partitions, just create seperate partitions from HDD for every folder where you'll store the files and mount the partitions to those directorys.
    I have a HDD lvm partition for mail and have it mounted to /var/vmail. So all mail is stored on the HDD. Same for mysql, lvm partition mounted into /var/lib/mysql.

3. Poliman

Poliman Member

I have install Ubuntu on SSD. I used "Guided - use entire disk" option during installation process, so I suppose I haven't LVM. After successfull installation I turned off machine and connect two same HDD disks. Then turned on machine and created raid1 using mdadm. Each HDD has only one partition - sdb1 and sdc1. Of course they are empty. If possible easy way I would be able to install all software on created raid1, if not - I would like to setup only files transferred via some ftp client to raid matrix which is mounted under /mnt/mr1.

4. Doesn't mean when you create raid1 that you shouldn't see bolth disks but just 1 because the 2nd is the mirror of the 1st? I never used software raid but only servers hardware raid.
    When I install I normally make the partitions manually, because before I used "Guided - use entire disk with LVM" and it created a 50GB swap area on my 500GB SSD disk.
    I don't know if its possible to install all software on the raid unless mounting the partition to the top folder of the install dir. I'm a amature at linux and not a linux genius like Till. So try asking him that.

But I know that you can create LVM partitions on your raid disk https://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm
    For FTP transfers just mount the raid1 matrix to the directory that FTP uses. If you know how to mount it to /mnt/mr1 you can mount it to any directory you need.

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you create a raid with mdadm then you'll get a new device /dev/md[..] that you can then format and mount.

6. Poliman

Poliman Member

Yes, I did exactly like above. There will be stored files. Currently I don't know where in proftpd.conf create path to mounted raid matrix.
    Thank You for answer and link. In the future I think it will help a lot. ;)

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I don't know what you mean by that. Once you've created /dev/md[x] then you just mount it where you want/need it, e.g.

Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/md[x]
    mount /dev/md[x] /var

8. Poliman

Poliman Member

I know how mount. ;) I don't know how pureftpd will know the place where I will mount matrix for store files sended through ftp client. During user creation process should I point to path where he should have his files?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017