Ubuntu setup using SSH

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by LuisC-SM, Apr 13, 2006.

1. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

Hi folks.

I have followed the ubuntu ISPConfig manual and on http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p3]Page 3 it stands for a SSH session from a different computer.
    In the past I used PuTTY from a Window$ environment and much older I remember the "r-commands" (something like telnet). Anyhow, my question is: after I have installed the SSH server in my ubuntu box (as per the manual stands) I want to be able to continue it from my XandrOS box (debian based distro) from the command line (console) with SSH but the truth is that I visited the help pages (http://www.openssh.com/manual.html) and still can't figure how to connect from my xandros box to my ubuntu server. Is there a step-by-step manual or may anyone of you tell me how to do it?.
    The main porpouse is to finish the setup from my xandros box (laptop) because the ubuntu's box monitor is almost "unreadable".

Tnx in advance for any comments.

Luis C. Suárez

PS. After my first installation (Ubuntu BOX), I made some mistakes in the IPs section, I mixed the numbers and also the passwords. Anyhow In this momment I'm starting from Zero. But I wanted to say that I installed PuTTY on this box and could never get into the Ubuntu session. I had previusly configured my router in DMZPlus for the Ubuntu box.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

To connect from your xandros box to your linux server is really simple. Just open a shell window in xandros and enter the command:

Replace 192.168.0.1 with the IP or domain of your server.

3. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

Tnx a lot for your quick response.

I'll try as soon as I can connect with the internet 'cause I lost my connection and I dont find the server in the router's config file.

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

4. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

Tnx. a lot for your help.

Your solution did not work at all.

However I found the reasson why it didn't and will write for future users reference.

After Ubuntu is completely installed and upgraded and there are no blocked ports in the router, one must change the DHCP to static, and write the new domain name (ie. myserver.com) then you "echo the system tu use the new domain name, so..., to connect with SSH with the other computer, in a console one must write:
    Code:
    ssh mydomain.com
    password=root password
    That's all.

Thanks a lot for your help and

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

PS1. The steps above must be done after ssh and ssh-server is installed in the ubuntu box.
    ps2. None of the methods like: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.100 worked at all. I did not tried 192.168.0.255 however

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Well, I guess the problem was that the system didn't have a static IP address, but was using DHCP instead, which means you never know which IP address it currently has...

6. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

You are just right.

I'had problems when I changed to static. My router couldn't see the server.
    I instructed my router (by going to the managment page) to a new range of IPs (default is 192.168.1.1/254) which was given in your tutorial (192.168.0.100), but i could never find it (in my router's page).
    Maybe I'm too newbie to handle this, but I tried this for almost 3 hours and believeme, I followed your instructions line by line. (I'm not newbe in the command line thou) and got tired. I could've missed something, but still do not know what it was. I chhecked the command line history and I noticed nothing was missed.

Maybe I DID miss something but I cannot see what.

Kind Regards.

Luis C. Suárez

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  7. falko

Then the problem probably was that your router amd your other computers were in the 192.168.1.x subnet, but your server had the IP 192.168.0.100 which is a different subnet. You should have used 192.168.1.100 then, for example.

8. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

Heyyy man........ first off thanks for taking the time to answer this silly problem of mine.
    You were just right :) that was the original problem, even though when I thought about it, I never wanted to do it that way 'cause in my mind was to follow all your steps exactly as u said it.
    I knew that this was an example and one should always change the values to the real life one's. Sometimes I use my feet to think and my mind to complain :D.
    Thanks a lot again and sure... it worked just fine :D

Kind Regards.

Luis C. Suárez.

PS. 10 years ago I lived in Hamburg (for around 2 years or so) and I go back every once in a while. I will not promise anything but if I have the chance I hope I can invite u & Till a couple of beers in a München style Bar.

9. falko

We're in the Hamburg area (Lüneburg), so Munich would be a little too far away for a drink... :D

10. LuisC-SM

LuisC-SM New Member

I lived in Wedell, but I reffer to a nice Restaurant/Bar in Ost-West-Strausse (Near St. Pauli). There is a Münchem Style Restaurant. (I reffer to the Style with big tafles so for me is somewhat münchen style ;))

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

PS. I do not remember the name of this nice Bar but it's underground and there's a beer factory inside (very near of the hauptbanhof)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006