Ultimate File Manager for ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by concept21, Jan 20, 2019.

1. I'm determined to get this to work. I haven't yet, but I'm close.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

As I said above, it is very straightforward.

3. No, it's single server. I'm getting a blank web page so I'm not sure what's going, it might be working for all I know. I need to do more troubleshooting. I'll keep you posted.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check apache / nginx error log, website and global. a blank page is often caused by a fatal php error like a missing php module. another possibility is that access to that page is blocked by the web browser.

5. brainsys

brainsys Member

Hi - just to say that if you are fortunate to have chosen KDE as your Linux desktop you already have this feature built-in using the fish protocol. Simply open up Dolphin (KDE's file manager) and in the location bar put in: fish://user@myserver:/var/www/mydomain/web

Voila - your virtualhost root directory is showing. Now you can also add the fish location to 'Places' on the menu and that location appears in the open/save file command of any KDE application like the Kate editor. You can, of course, open files directly from Dolphin.

I am using this to directly edit files on an ISPConfig server running the Hugo website builder. Besides creating static html files for regular use using Apache - Hugo has its own built in microserver that serves the page files live on port 1313. So you can edit pages locally on the file editor of choice and they instantly (give or take a few milleseconds) on your browser from the ISPConfig server. You can juggle stuff until it looks right in the browser then commit the changes to the public serving static html files without having to shuffle whole sites back and forth by (S)FTP scp or rsync.

(Just remember to start the hugo server and view it remotely with the parameter --bind=[your ip] and open 1313 in the firewall)

Hugo? https://letsencrypt.org use it 'cos it is very fast and light.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  6. concept21

concept21 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes, it is well known that some Linux distros' built-in file manager have ftp feature included.

It is Unix which was created for networking at the first place.