Unable to locate package linux-image-extra-3.8.0-29-generic

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by danhansen@denmark, Aug 19, 2014.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

Info:
    Ubuntu 12.04.3 Server (Needs to be 12.04.3 because of the "bug" in the 12.04.4 update. Building a CUDA5.5/Ubuntu 12.04 system for CPU/GPU number crunching)
    Clean installation!

Anybody who can help me solve this problem???

Code:
    # apt-get install linux-image-extra-$(uname -r) x11-xserver-utils mesa-utils
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-extra-3.8.0-29-generic
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-extra-3.8.0-29-generic'

# dpkg -l | grep linux-image-
    ii  linux-image-3.8.0-29-generic     3.8.0-29.42~precise1          Linux kernel image for version 3.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
    ii  linux-image-generic-lts-raring   3.8.0.29.29                   Generic Linux kernel image

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Use

apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
    apt-get install grub-common grub-pc
    update-grub

3. danhansen@denmark

Allrighty-then....

Hi Srijan,

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Is there a little chance, that you might explain a little of the command!?!? Please do. I've been working this system for 9 month or so, so I'm very interested in knowing what the different commands does. Will you please explain these for me. Thanks in advange my friend ;)

4. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

This will instruct your grub to use all dependencies for the kernel, generally when we do updates/upgrades some times kernel get updated with linux-image-xxx-generic and linux-image-generic but it misses its linux-image-extra which causes the issue of missing packages. Better practise for upgrading kernel is to install 3 packages at the same time otherwise if any package will miss it will get refused by grub and causing the issue of missing package.

5. danhansen@denmark

Hi Srijan,

Thanks my friend, helpfull as always;)

Those 3 you showed me ?? :eek:

6. danhansen@denmark

Hello again,

Srijan, do you know why this problem accours using the version/update 12.04.3 Server, but not when using the 12.10 Server ????

Have a nice weekend my friend ;)