Unable to receive emails?!!!

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by nandhu, Aug 18, 2005.

1. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Initially I had problems sending emails, then it was identified that my ISP's SMTP was interfering, now that is sorted, I can send out emails and it reaches the intended recipient within few minutes (less than a minute in all the cases I've tried).

But when they send me a reply to my email or when they compose a new email I'm not receiving then and they are getting bounce back message like the following:-

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Hi
    Sent: 18/08/2005 12:58

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 18/08/2005 12:58
    There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
    <smtp1.smtp.dlt.com #5.5.0 smtp;554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied>

[P.S: [email protected] was used just to hide the actual email id ]

What can I do to prevent this happening?

Many thanks to all your help.

[Falko/Timme, please note I've not yet tested the Outlook, will update those forum messages shortly]

- Nanda.

2. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Please find the /var/log/maillog extract from postfix when i tried to send an email from hotmail to my [email protected] id.

Thanks.

- Nanda.

3. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Ah! interestingly I'm able to receive emails for other email ids with other domains that I'm hosting on my server. Its only for a specific domain it is causing the problems. I'll double check my settings by comparing that one with others and see if that helps.

Thanks

Nanda.

4. nandhu

nandhu New Member

Hi All,

Since I was hosting 3 domains and its emails. I tried emailing to my other domains and then emails to those domains worked straightaway.

so, i deleted the problematic domain in ispconfig and recreated them, which set everything right and my emails to that domain started working.

Thanks for your time.

- Nanda.

5. cartdev

cartdev New Member

I have a similar problem with several domains. It all was working, then stopped for only a few domains. All the settings are identical. SOmehow I think ISP Config didn't clean something up. I hate to have to delete and recreate a bunch of domains to clean things up manually. Any other ideas for this? Note that the domains are entered in /etc/postfix/local-host-names. I'm using * as a wildcard for hostnames in the co-domains settings.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Any errors in the maillogs?

7. phamels

phamels Member

i have the some problems with some domains, the error i get is:

Code:
    postfix/smtpd[10766]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from relay.someisp.tld[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<relay.someisp.tld>

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are the domains hosted on your server? If not, you have to enable smtp-auth in your email client.