Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by djmixx07, May 27, 2010.

1. djmixx07

djmixx07 New Member

Hi Mark, thanks for helping me out. Just an update about my mail server problem. I noticed that my www-data is the one sending out ALOT of stuff which I think is spam. Dunno why it's doing that. I remembered before that someone was able to hijack our servers by installing Medusa. I immediately removed it, but I think it was too late because that was the time that all these mess started to happen..being blacklisted, server sending spam, etc. If I reinstall again, can you tell me what are the "security" that I need to ensure in my new installation so it won't happen again? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

If you follow the how-to you have a good base installation. After that you can install fail2ban, rkhunter and setup a cronjob to scan you drive with clamav on a daily/weekly base.

3. djmixx07

djmixx07 New Member

i have reinstalled postfix, installed fail2ban, rkhunter, and amavisd-new. I am about to change the public IP of my server, but I'm afraid that I haven't solved the problem and how to prevent it from happening again. My current IP is still blacklisted so I can't test my new setup if it's working.

My question is, because I have determined that [email protected] is sending spam. How can I fix this? Can I block it from sending mails or filter any outgoing mail that might be a spam?

4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

if your server is still sending out spam with [email protected] .. then your machine is still compromised and you need to find out who/what is sending those mails .. it must be a process the is run through apache (www-data)

get your ip unbanned (most lists have a unban option), then switch ip, test and hf

5. djmixx07

djmixx07 New Member

That is my problem, I'm unable to determine who/what is sending those mails. Except for the fact that it's using my www-data to send spam. Do you have any ideas where to look and how to fix it? Thanks again for your help. :)

6. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

with
    Code:
    ps flax
    you can see running processes .. www-data = UID 33

It could be that there is running a cgi/php script that sends those mails .. you have to dig deeper to find the problem. if all else fails, pm me i can take a look at your machine if you want.

7. djmixx07

djmixx07 New Member

I have read one post here that is similar to my issue. It says that it could be a faulty contact form on our website. So what I did is remove that component from our site and monitor now what happens next. I requested a configuration to our DNS from our ISP, to be pointed to the new IP address that we will use. Crossing my fingers* Thanks again mark

8. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

yep, a contact form is also a possibility, you can add a CAPTCHA code to the form to avoid bots abuse your form.

gl!