Unison and ISPConfig not syncing

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by System_Owner, Aug 16, 2014.

1. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

I have a pair of mirrored servers. I had previously had the mirrored set working great but some php modules stopped working on server1 which caused a rebuild of the two servers.

Now when I create a client, website, email domain, and email address, it creates them on server1 just fine.

I have installed Unison to sync the /var/www and /var/vmail folders. However, everytime it goes to copy a client web folder in the /var/www it skips it saying there is no user web1, web3 and so forth. It copies over the /var/vmail folder just fine, although the two servers are using the same roundcube database but yet i cant log into the second server´s roundcube email site.

This is what the unison log is stating:

/var/www/clients/client2/web3/web/stats/.htaccess has already been ......
    Failed: No user web3
    Failed: No user web1
    Failed: No user web1
    Unison 2.40.102 finished propagating changes at.........
    Synchronization incomplete at <time> (0 items transferred, 0 skipped, 12 failed
    failed: www/clients/client1/web1/cgi-bin
    failed: www/clients/client1/web1/private
    failed: www/clients/client1/web1/web
    and so forth.

It worked on 3.0.5.4, 3.0.5.4p1, and 3.0.5.4p2.....i understand that 3.0.5.4p3 is locked down harder now....is this preventing things from being copied correctly?

Thanks.
    S.O.

2. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

Just an update, what´s really strange is that if I create the missing users and groups on the second server manually with adduser or addgroup, then files get copied over.

But isnt ISPConfig supposed to replicate the users and groups, as last time with previous versions of ISPConfig I didnt have to do this.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Check your jobqueue. Maybe some tasks are not run yet.

I can create new users and groups with p3.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Aditional to what Florian posted: check that you enabled mirroring in ispconfig between the servers.

5. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can also use unison with group=true and owner=true. And make sure, that both servers the start id and that both connect userid to webid

6. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

Till and Florian030

I do have the mirroring set in ISPConfig, as thats one of the last steps of the installation as I try to follow the documentation to the T when installing...to go into System, Server, and make sure that Server2 is set to be a mirror of Server1 and that the check box for Connect linux id to web id is checked.

Now, last time I didnt have to use the owner=true and group=true with Unison, but during my rebuild attempt today I will add those two parameters in the default.prf file and see if they make a difference.

I might, if I can find the software, try installing 3.0.5.4, then p1, then p2, and then p3 rather than installing straight to p3.

Thanks.

7. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

Till and Florian030,

Im wondering if there might be a bug in P3 if you install straight to P3.
    I rebuilt the servers this morning and after a couple of hours later, I have the two servers up and running.

This time I installed only ISPConfig v3.0.5.4 (no patch level).

Installed unison the way the instructions say (which already included owner=true and group=true).

Then created 1 client with a web domain, email domain, and a mailbox. Then waited a few minutes for unison to do something. BAM PRESTO!! Sync´d like a charm.

I did nothing different with the install as yesterday except I installed straight to P3.

So now what I will do is install P1, and repeat the process of creating a client, webdomain, email domain, and a mailbox and then wait for unison to sync to make sure the next sync occurs properly, in addition to creating the appropriate owners and groups.

If that works then I will repeat the process for P2 and the P3. Im suspecting that things will either work, due to the upgrading path, or things will break after the P3 is installed. Now if things work after P3, then Im a happy camper. :)

Will post the results in a little bit.

Thanks.

8. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

Update....

Installing 3.0.5.4 (no patch) worked fine. Tested replication it worked.
    Updated to 3.0.5.4p1 worked fine. Tested replication and it worked.
    Updated to 3.0.5.4p2 worked fine. Tested replication and it worked.
    Updated to 3.0.5.4p3 worked fine. Tested replication and it worked.

Seems strange I did everything the same as yesterday except yesterday I installed 3.0.5.4p3 as the initial install version and I had problems.

But now I cant install my billing module. Till, is there an upgraded billing module I need to work with 3.0.5.4p3? The install.php files states I need 3.0.5, which I have. So Im not sure why its not installing and seen in the console. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

9. System_Owner

System_Owner Member

Till,

You can disregard the Billing module question in my previous post.
    I got it working. I forgot I had to go click on it for the Admin user and then logoff and back in.

Everything is good now. Stressful three days trying to get the install done.

Thx