Unknown (maildrop) error

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Skprorok, Jul 27, 2009.

1. rforsythe

rforsythe New Member

I posted it up just last evening, so searches were probably run before that. I had to piece that solution together from some idea that the update broke "something", after trying all of the suggestions to fix permissions, etc which of course didn't work.

Best course of action when you can't make an upgrade work is to rollback, so that's all that really does. Note that I got the old version info from /var/log/aptitude which should give you a changelog old ==> new. From there I just plugged the version number above with the maildrop={version} and let 'er rip.

Pointing out my troubleshooting steps so it can help everyone fix other issues that can crop up from bad updates in the future.

2. primal23

primal23 New Member

Moose you da man! Thank you very much!!

3. mooseman

mooseman Member

Hi I think the "aptitude hold maildrop" did not work as I had to downgrade and flush again this morning. ISPconfig 3 must be doing something else to auto upgrade the packages at night.

How can I check the ISPCONFIG update process?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig has nothing to do with this behaviour as there is no update function in ispconfig. You should check your cronjobs, most liley you have apt-cron or a similar package installed which updates your system automatically.

To find a answer for the bug in the maildrop package, please answer the questions from here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42935&page=2

5. primal23

primal23 New Member

I just noticed that my update manager has maildrop listed again. Looking for a solution, since I know I will update without looking and get the maildrop(I know I shouldn't do this without looking, but when busy I forget).:p

6. till

Can someone please answer my questions that I posted in the other thread? Which Ubuntu version do you use and what is the exact version number of the broken maildrop package.

7. primal23

primal23 New Member

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and the the maildrop is Version 2.0.4-3+lenny3build0.9.04.1

8. till

Ok. Then it must be a problem with the deb package for 9.04 only, as the package in 9.10 on my test server has the same version number but it works. I will try to do a test install of 9.04 tomorrow. Has someone already filed a bugreport in the ubuntu bugtracker?

9. primal23

primal23 New Member

Not yet, been trying to find how to remove maildrop from the update manager gui lol

10. mooseman

mooseman Member

Hi,

I just set up my own root cron job at 8am before normal business hours to downgrade and flush

to answer Till's question:
    I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 kernel: 2.6.28-17-server #58-Ubuntu

and aptitude log shows:

[DOWNGRADE] maildrop 2.0.4-3+lenny3build0.9.04.1 -> 2.0.4-3

Therefore maildrop 2.0.4-3+lenny3build0.9.04.1 seems to be the offending package.

--
    Dan

11. primal23

primal23 New Member

For mine, I added sudo echo “maildrop hold” | dpkg --set-selections
    this plus the hold has made it so it cant be updated and ISPconfig sees it as 1 not to be updated.

12. till

As I posted already, ispconfig is not updating anything. What you see in the ispconfig monitor is the output of apt of possibel updates that are available for download on the ubuntu servers, it is not something that will get updated or even installed.

So your solution goes into the wrong direction. Instead of running a cronjob that holds the package, you should find the software or cronjob that is actually installing it automatically and disable this software. One candidate for this is apt-cron, so check if apt-cron is installed and uninstall it. If you use a desktop system, check also the desktop package installer and applets.

13. primal23

primal23 New Member

Yeah, I meant to say that when you go to the show update state in the admin console, it shows that under not upgraded. I just like keeping the status in the green. :)

14. sligbot

sligbot New Member

Disregard...didn't see the rest of the thread

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  15. jamesloker

jamesloker New Member

Ok I thought this was working but it's still changing to the one that doesn't work.
    Everyday i have to run the aptitude command and postfix flush.
    Seems to just keep updating to the crappy maildrop lenny

HELP

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. jamesloker

jamesloker New Member

Ok never mind. I have updated to 9.10 using do-release-upgrade

17. swerny

swerny New Member

After upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 the authentication error is gone.
    Thx Till for pointing at this.

18. mooseman

mooseman Member

Hi,

I'm still having to go in and downgrade daily. I can't find a cron job that is upgrading the maildrop, I've set the maildrop package to to hold and I also set: “maildrop hold” | dpkg --set-selections, but it keeps getting downloaded every night. apt-cron is not installed and I can't identify any cron jobs besides ispconfigs daily php jobs that may running the update.

I would like to upgrade from ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 to clear the issue, what is the standard process, and what do I risk breaking with ispconfig.

Did anyone have any problems upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10?

Thanks,

--
    MoOsEMaN
    '

19. troggie_0092

troggie_0092 New Member

Hi there,
    I did an upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, nothing broke except for the http Own Error docs.
    Apache says:

The requested URL /xyxyxy was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Don't know what causes this, busy investigating

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. troggie_0092

troggie_0092 New Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010