Unrecognised version of Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by troggie, Aug 30, 2016.

1. troggie

troggie New Member

Good day all.
    I just upgraded my server to Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and I have read that only ISPconfig 3.1 supports php7 and Ubuntu 16.04.
    As I run the update.php script I get the error stating "unrecognised distribution"
    Any help would be appreciated as my suphp no longer works on any sites

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, upgrade ispconfig to 3.1dev after you upgraded Ubuntu. Then switch all sites to php-fpm or php-fcgi with Suexec enabled in the website settings, suphp is not available anymore on Ubuntu 16.04 and it has been replaced by the php modes php-fcgi or fpm with suexec.

3. troggie

troggie New Member

Thank you so so much Till.
    I have tried to upgrade and that's where I receive the unrecognised version of Ubuntu and then the update script exits

4. troggie

troggie New Member

Hi TIll.
    Here is asnip of the console when trying the upgrade
    upload_2016-8-30_18-40-3.png

5. till

You have to be root (sudo -s), don't run the update.php with sudo.

6. troggie

troggie New Member

Same result when running as root

7. till

Then the version information in your OS is incomplete in /etc/issue or /etc/os-release or you don't use ISPConfig 3.1.

8. troggie

troggie New Member

/etc/issue = upload_2016-8-30_19-58-43.png
    Also doesn't work when I take the "\n \1" out
    /etc/os-release= upload_2016-8-30_19-59-8.png

ISPConfig3.1 = upload_2016-8-30_20-2-7.png

Thank you for your assistance

9. till

The recognition works fine here on my clean Ubuntu 16.04 perfect server setup, so it must be a system setting on your server that causes this issue. Check the cli php.ini if you have an open_basedir set there.

10. till

The recognition works fine here on my clean Ubuntu 16.04 perfect server setup, so it must be a system setting on your server that causes this issue. Check the cli php.ini if you have an open_basedir set there.

11. till

12. troggie

troggie New Member

nothing there in open_basedir, it is commented out.
    I can confirm it's localized to this machine as my 2nd machine upgraded successfully.

13. troggie

troggie New Member

Would it be possible for me to create a new machine and transfer all the data over to the new 3.1 machine ?

14. till

Sure. You an do such a migration eiter with the ispconfig migration tool or manually. For manual migrations you can find several threads here in the forum that describe the steps that need to be taken.

15. troggie

troggie New Member

Is there no way I can figure out what's preventing it ? Migration is the last step I would like to take

16. troggie

troggie New Member

Hi there.
    I found the error, thought I would just let you know.
    On the problem machine, the file (/etc/debian_version) was missing.
    Once I created it with the same contents of the machine that upgraded successfully, the upgrade went through.

Thank you for all your help!

till likes this.