update does not create LE certificate: cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Taleman, Jul 13, 2024.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

OS Debian 12, ISPConfig version was 3.2.11p2, updated to 3.2.12. LE client is acme.sh. Installed with autoinstaller in january 2024.
    ispconfig_update.sh did update, but creting new certificate failed, so I guess it created self signed certificate. Error message was
    Code:
    sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80: No such file
    Using apache for certificate validation
    acme.sh is installed, overriding certificate path to use /root/.acme.sh
    On this host shell is dash,
    Code:
    # ls -lh /bin/sh
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jan  5  2023 /bin/sh -> dash
    Is the certificate creation using dash now, but should be using bash?

When I try running ispconfig_update.sh --force again, it says:
    Certificate exists. Not creating a new one.
    I hoped to run update with debug or log, but now it does not try to create certificate.
    The certificates are now messed up, some services show the self signed, some use old expired certificate.
    The host certificate expired on tuesday, that is why I started the update now. When I can get new certificate, I need to know: how I can check all services use the correct certificate file?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please take a look at the acme.sh log file to see why the renewal failed. What you can try is that you remove the acme.sh cert using acme.sh command and then run an ISPConfig update, it should offer you the option to create a new acme.sh cert then if it does not find the existing old acme.sh certificate.

3. Taleman

Drat, I forgot to read the log.
    Anyway, seems there is something wrong with certificate renewal. One host shows in log
    Code:
    276   "status": "pending",
     277   "expires": "2024-07-20T10:09:12Z",

so there is only 7 days left, the certificate should have renewed 23 days ago.
    Log has 695 lines, seems going OK until line 376 where it stands
    Code:
    Pending, The CA is processing your order, please just wait. (1/30)
    I thought it would be simple to sort certificate problem on ns2 host, but host does not have apache installed and looks like acme.sh tries dns validation, and that does not work. It may be ns2 never had working certificate.
    I'll switch to reading log on main host, which does have apache.
    It looks to me problem is not in Let's Encrypt, acme.sh has renewed certificate and it is still valid. The error message ispconfig_update.sh shows about /dev/tcp is strange, how is that file relevant? Anyway, file indeed does not exist on main host nor on ns2.
    But webmail is using expired certificate. I think it is just wrong symlink.

4. till

Then you must have set this up manually. ISPConfig uses the buitin http verification server from acme.sh if no apache is installed. LE certs set up by ISPConfig do not support DNS authentication.

5. till

Maybe you closed port 80 in a firewall? This will prevent the renewal of LE certs in the system where you closed the port.

6. Taleman

Dovecot files:
    Code:
    root@posti:/etc/dovecot# ls -lh private/
    total 8.0K
    drwx------ 2 root root 4.0K Dec 20  2023 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K Jan 12  2024 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   38 Dec 20  2023 dovecot.key -> /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   36 Dec 20  2023 dovecot.pem -> /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    root@posti:/etc/dovecot#

Code:
    conf.d/10-ssl.conf:ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
    conf.d/10-ssl.conf:ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.key

That can not be right, this used to work.

Code:
    dovecot.conf:ssl_cert = </etc/postfix/smtpd.cert
    dovecot.conf:ssl_key = </etc/postfix/smtpd.key
    dovecot.conf:ssl_dh = </etc/dovecot/dh.pem

That looks like a reasonable configuration.
    And dovecot was restarted after certificate file renewal.
    Code:
    root@posti:/etc/dovecot# ls -lh /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert /etc/postfix/smtpd.key
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 Jul 13 13:36 /etc/postfix/smtpd.cert -> /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48 Jul 13 13:36 /etc/postfix/smtpd.key -> /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key
    root@posti:/etc/dovecot# ls -lh /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 3.9K Jul 13 13:35 /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 3.2K Jul 13 13:35 /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key

Those are certificate files created today. I can not understand why webmail uses old certificate still. Maybe the ispconfig_update.sh messed something when it failed with Let's Encrypt and created the self signed certificate.
    Maybe roundcube is culprit? But it does not seem to run as service so nothing to restart.
    Files in /root/.acme.sh/$(hostname -f) are latest from June 9th, so not same certificate but still valid for 60 days someting.
    It is time for sauna and my brain is exhausted.

7. Taleman

I can access /webmail with other FQDN, all FQDN/webmail I tried work and use the LE certificate for that website.
    But (hostname -f)/webmail uses old certificate. I found Firefox allows me to see the certificate information, it is created on Wed, 10 April 2024 and expired Tue 09 Jul 2024.
    I just can not understand why it uses that old certificate. Is it possible something is wrong with ispconfig_update.sh when I force it to create certificate? The files in /root/.acme.sh/$(hostname -f) are dated Jun 9 10:58 so the certificate did renew at the set date. And host uptime is 13 days so it has rebooted since that certificate was created.

8. till

This file is not used on your server. You must take a look into the dovecot.conf file.

Possible of course, but not very likely.

Which exact URL to webmail uses an old cert? If its on port 8081, then you must look into the apps vhost. If you configured it to use a website, you must look into that website.

Maybe you created a website for the system hostname? This does not work with acme.sh as this will disconnect the SSL cert from ISPConfig and assign it to this website; this means the website gets a new cert, and ispconfig is not on renewal. If you then enforce an ISPConfig update to renew the cert, then ISPConfig will get a new cert and not the website. The reason is that acme.sh copies the SSL cert to a target directory on renewal, and this is either ISPConfig or the website, but not both. The only solution is to replace the site's SSL cert with a symlink to the ISPConfig SSL cert. or you must symlink the ISPConfig SSL cert to the website's SSL cert.

9. Taleman

I still do not understand whatfor the error "sh: 1: cannot open /dev/tcp/127.0.0.1/80:", but otherwise I think I now understand.
    This host has website named $(hostname -f), and I finally remember there was discussion on this forum about certificates if such website exists.
    With firefox I could see website is using certificate created 10 April, and the files in /var/www/$(hostname -f)/ssl are from that date. Maybe something like this happened at that time, and I just turned off and back on again the LE tick box in website settings.
    I symlinked the two files in ssl/ directory to acme directory, restarted apache and now it works!
    The old discussion I found is this: https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/ispconfig-3-2-ssl-for-primary-host.90030/#post-442536
    I have used website hostname -f for 12 years. But then I had certbot as LE client. Now acme.sh needs this tweaking.
    And @till wrote his excellent answer while I was typing this. So I reinwented the acme symlinking.

10. till

Yes, it worked with certbot out of the box but acme.sh works differently and causes in issue in this case.

11. Nicram

Nicram Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello @till !
    Since it's about acme.sh topic, i would like to add (also Deb12, ISPC 3..2.11p2 - when disabling SSL, or disabling Let'sencrypt for website, the files inside acme directory are not deleted which makes some interesting problems. One of my friends had two different websites: www.domain.com and domain.com. Then he added some subdomains for www.domain.com, and i believe deleted domain.com, and enabled Auto-subdomain "www". Because one directory wasn't deleted in acme, everytime acme refreshed certificates, it was overwriting the correct ones so the domain.com and all subdomains.domain.com certificate was wrong and showed that it is made for www.domain.com.

12. Taleman

Looks like having website with same URL as hostname -f is problematic no matter what. Yesterday and today after acme.sh did the renew certificates thing, apache2 could not be started. I fixed it yesterday by creating the symlinks again, it looked like name of certificate file had changed. Today apache2 was down again, so I gave up and removed certificates for the website, disabled the website and removed the certificate with acme.sh --remove and delating the certificate files. Then I ran ispconfig_update.sh --force to make sure there is certificate created for the hostname.
    Apache error log gave no clue on what was wrong, besides showing time when it went down. I looked in acme log what it was doing at that time and saw it was renewing hostname -f.

13. till

Yes, that#s a common issue. When there is something wrong with a SSL cert like its corrupted or missing, then Apache simply does not log any error. Which makes it complicated to debug if you have no idea which website might cause it.