update to latest version

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by hagel, Aug 17, 2005.

1. hagel

hagel New Member

I'm wondering how the 'normal' updating procedure is for ISPConfig?

Is it to just download the latest and run ./setup - meaning will it be able to install correctly over the last version without deleting all my customers/sites??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's right.

3. domino

domino New Member

I was wonder the same thing the first time I upgraded. LOL, there was a lack of reassurance in the upgrade documents LOL. Is there a method in backing up before the upgrade that anyone would like to share?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you want to go 100% sure, then check this document: http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_systemimager :)

5. domino

domino New Member

Yes, I've read just about every How-To on this site! Took me half the day absorbing the information. How ever, it doesn't apply diectly to people like myself that is running in a virtual environment. What I usually do is create a snapshot before anything I am unsure of when installing. I also take a snapshot every 24hrs and keep the last 3 snapshots.

What would be great is if we can backup just the ISPConig files and configurations along with the clients' and reseller account data and site. I'm also researching on an application what will backup and restore a clients' files or folders on the "web" directory by date and time.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, this will be a nice thing for the feature list. ISPConfig has a abckup mechanism for the website contents, but nothing for the complete system.

When you run the installer (setup) script, it makes a backup of the directory /root/ispconfig, home/admispconfig and the SQL database and puts these as tar.gz files in the temp directory. If these contents will be restored to their original locations, you will have a working copy of the prior ISPConfig installation again. But this backup does not include the postfix, bindt, apache etc. config files.

7. domino

domino New Member

Yes, daily and incremental ISPConfig backup would be great!

8. maxx

maxx ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Great idea.

And so that i could sent them also by FTP to another machine.

-maxx