Updating risks with debian

Discussion in 'General' started by drsintoma, Feb 19, 2006.

1. drsintoma

drsintoma New Member

Hi everyone,

I have to setup a web server and I've been thinking to use an specific distro like trustix or sme. But I really like the debian style and I've seen the possibility of using ISPConfig with debian sarge (Perfect Setup).

I was wondering if using ispconfig with perfect setup there is any risks of error after updating the system via "apt-get dist-upgrade". I mean can I update the system without fear? Is there any possibility that any configuration file changes and ispconfig doesn't work properly?

Thanks

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Normally updates work without problems because ISPConfig doesn't replace any standard Debian packages, it just configures them. :)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am updating my ISPConfig Debian server with apt-get update for over 2 years, never got a problem with that.

4. drsintoma

drsintoma New Member

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot. :D

5. Qrup

Qrup New Member

SME vs. Sarge/ISPconfig

I have used SME for a looong time now and just shifted to Debian 'Sarge' and I haven't regretted a second. SME worked fine, but now I can actually configure my server. I'd say go ahead and try out Debian.. I got ALL the help I needed from this HowTo forge forums :D

6. drsintoma

drsintoma New Member

That's the main reason a want to use it, the flexibility that gives me the fact that is an standard debian what I'm dealing with. For instance, I took me 2 hours get phpmyadmin working with sme, untill I realized that I had to use a specific package instead of the one I downloaded from phpmyadmin web site.