Upgrade ISPConfig 3 with Data from old debian to newest one

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by iceget, Feb 18, 2016.

1. iceget

iceget Member

Dear team,

i have 2 servers.
    1. web01, Debian 7.8
    2. web02, Debian 6.0
    All Versions from ISPConfig are up to date.

How i can migrate all servers to a new installed servers?
    i have tried this with apt upgrade, but this has not worked for me.

if i now install a new virtual server with the latest debian, how i can migrate the old data to the new server?
    i mean; settings, ispconfig, webhost, mysqldbs ...

can anybody help me?

thanks

2. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

There are several instructions in the forum already. Basically you have to setup server first and then clone data ( mail, webs, databases! ).
    You should pay attention that cloning the mysql data also clones your old root and debian-sys-maint password, so you also want to copy /etc/mysql/debian.cnf and if you use innodb, make sure you also copy my.cnf

Afterwards run a resync on tools page which should reconfigure cronjobs, vhosts ect. That may take a while, be patient.
    Pay close attention how to clone data - if you don't copy your passwd and group files from /etc/ before unpacking you could end up in many ownership missmatches.

3. iceget

iceget Member

thank you. what is better, setup a fresh server, or upgrade an existing server?

thanks

4. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Both has pro and cons.
    If you have configured some additional services and such you probably will need more time to do a new setup than by fixing minor issues eventually appearing after an upgrade from 6>7 and then 7>8.
    It's something you'd probably need to test for yourself - you could do a dry run on a virtual box and setup new ISPConfig and merge data, test some logins and check if something's missing or not working.
    Really, I can't decide that for you, I'd do an upgrade on rolling release systems like debian, usually works.

Maybe debian 9 will be a reason to do a clean reinstall.