Upgrading debian from jessie to bullseye

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Azraelo, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Azraelo

Azraelo New Member

Hello,
    I want to upgrade my old debian jessie (8) to the newest one bullseye (11).
    Normally I'd just update ISPConfig to the newest version, remove custom packages, run through all dist-upgrades and then fix/reconfigure all services by the guidance of the newest "Perfect Server Setup".
    Unfortunately there is no such Howto for Debian 11. There is only this automatic setup Howto for a clean new server: https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/
    What would be your best suggestion how to fix all the loose ends and missing packages without a thorough Howto in such a situation?

Regards
    Azraelo

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I have used the Debian 10 guide for packages, the only difference that I remember is in the php version (7.3 -> 7.4). Don't add a repo for goaccess, it's included in Debian 11. On most systems I have phpmyadmin and roundcube installed form debian packages; looks like I still have an old self-install of phpmyadmin on one server, which is still working after buster update.

3. Azraelo

Azraelo New Member

Thanks a lot, will give it a try.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Consider also the alternative of installing a new Debian 11 with ISPConfig system, and using migration tool to get all data from old system to new. This way might mean shorter downtime of services, and maybe less work by avoiding the Debian release upgrades 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11.
    https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/ispconfig-migration-tool/

5. Azraelo

Azraelo New Member

Thanks, but i've got 70 sites on it and migrating them all to a new server and then also adjusting all of them to a new ip in dns is also very tedious. Same for all the mail programs and their accounts.
    The only other option would be creating a new vm with the same external ip and host name and then migrate them, but this could be also quite interesting to keep the letsencrypt certificates properly working.
    I think the inplace upgrade may perhaps have a little bit longer downtime but overall it will be less tedious.

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Can be done with one MySQL command and then a resync of the DNS zone through the panel (Tools -> Resync)

But I think the Debian 10 -> 11 upgrade is easy, though I haven't done it on any production systems yet.

7. Azraelo

Azraelo New Member

Ifi it was just 10->11 I wouldn't even have thought about it much.
    But it is from 8->11, so two steps more.
    I've created a new server with bullseye and set up ISPConfig as a slave server but I wasn't able to transfer more than the accounts. No websites/databases/email.
    In the resync interface I only see the local server as target for the resync. The only exception is for "all services" but it only synchronizes the accounts, nothing more.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A slave server is a system to extend your current master, you can not use a slave server as a migration path to replace a master server. if you want to replace your current system instead of updating it, install the new server as a standalone system and then use the Migration Tool to move the data: https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/ispconfig-migration-tool/ Or do a manual migration, you can find posts about that in the forum s well, which means that the new system may not be a slave of the old one as well.

The resync function is to write data again to the same server in case you updated one of the config template files. It is no function to migrate a server.

Th0m likes this.