upgrading from MySQL 4 to MySQL 5 on Mandrake/Mandriva

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Niklas, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Niklas

Niklas New Member

Hello, how can I upgrade the MySQL service on my Mandriva Linux?
    I did not find an rpm for MySQL 5. I can download and run MySQL 5 but can not understand how to upgrade the service.

Thanks

2. brainz

brainz Member

Here check this

3) Updating & Upgrading
    You've finally got all the software you want but it's been a few weeks/months since you installed it all. To update it all, all you need to do is

CODE [root@localhost]# urpmi --auto-select

This however may give you some complaints about GPG signatures(see below) on the files.

To automatically ignore this, instead of the above use:
    CODE [root@localhost]# urpmi --auto-select --no-verify-rpm --auto

To upgrade to the next version of Mandrake without using the installer, remove your sources and add new sources for the next version of Mandrake. Then perform the above command and the below command.

This can sometimes mess up the system and often causes bloat by installing many extra packages.

CODE [root@localhost]# urpmi kernel

Excluding Packages
    If you are upgrading versions of Mandrake through urpmi (not really recommended, but it can be done) or you are running a 'bleeding edge' cooker system that you update frequently, you may run into a package or packages that are broken. This happened to me recently with a package in cooker. In my case, and probably yours as well, installing the earlier version of the package cured the problem. Because of this, I want to exclude that package from further urpmi --auto-select commands.

This is pretty easy to do. You need to be root, so open a terminal and su to root. You will need to edit the file /etc/urpmi/skip.list Use your favorite text editor to do that. It's pretty self-explanatory.

You just add the packagename, or the begining name of the package like this:

CODE package1.0.1.mdk package2 package2-devel

And so on. Save the file and the next time you run your update, those packages will be excluded from the file listing.

- Section added by LiquidZoo

Mandiva

Hope this helps....

Regards
    brainz :rolleyes::cool: