Upgrading Rouncube 1.3 to 1.4?

Discussion in 'General' started by brainsys, Sep 29, 2021.

1. brainsys

brainsys Member

Debian 11 based ISPConfig sports Roundcube 1.4 with its responsive Elastik theme. Nice.

However my main mailserver will remain on a Perfect Tutorial Debian 10 for the foreseeable future. I would like to upgrade to Roundcube 1.4. Can I do this safely? (possibility of breaking a production mailserver is not an option).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I believe there is no promise ISPConfig would work with updated roundcube. It might work, but if you do not want to risk breaking your system do not upgrade like that.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Usually, you did not install roundcube on a mail.server (if this server not a web-server, too) so you can upgrade roundcube.

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

yep. i give instructions for doing that (along with other stuff) in this post: ubuntu 18.04 perfect server (apache) with mods. | Howtoforge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

it's for ubuntu, but the process should be identical. and it's for roundcube 1.4.1
    normally you'd just change any instances of the version number in the instructions to the current latest version and everything would be ok, but i believe the very latest releases have a slightly different file/folder layout.
    i've even tried the 1.5 rc version and that worked ok as well, albeit that was around the same time i upgraded the live server to 1.4.1, so newer versions of the 1.5 beta/rc may also contain the new file/folder layout changes.

so i would still recommend you make a test instance of a deb10 ispconfig server and then try upgrading the roundcube version on that first, just to check.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i never installed rc using apt. i prefered a dedicated website for roundcube before switching to rainloop

ahrasis likes this.
  6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

never used rainloop, what are the pro's and cons compared to roundcube.
    is it easy to integrate it ispconfig so users can change their email passwords / OOF etc?

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

And just anecdotally, I've updated to roundcube 1.4 from buster-backports on some ispconfig servers and it has worked fine.

ahrasis likes this.