Upgrading Ubuntu 14.04 to ...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by morktadela, Jan 12, 2017.

1. morktadela

morktadela New Member

Hi,
    I'm now in a really big problem. Some years ago I was installed a Ubuntu 14.04 with a ISPConfig 3 Installation following this tutorial:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/the-perf...bind-mysql-php-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig3
    (yes it's nginx)
    Today this server have arround 30 webs running, 90% are Wordpress and I need to upgrade PHP to newer version. Ubuntu 14 repositories only have PHP 5.5.9 but lastest WP needs PHP 5.6 and with MySQL is same, 5.5 but WP wants 5.6.
    My vps hosting is digitalocean then, I was take a backup of server and create a new one and try to upgrade ubuntu doing do-release-upgrade, but server hangs after Ubuntu 16 installation and next boot mount hard disk with read-only.
    I solved problem but the update leaves the server unusable, php-fpm don't work, i need no reinstall mysql and a lot of problems including ISPConfig problems, mail, etc.
    My Question is: What is the best way to update the server without broke it? Maybe first move to 15.04?
    Thanks in Advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's why ISPConfig supports additional php versions, so there is no need to change the PHP of the OS or to do a OS upgrade just for a new PHP version, simply install and additional PHP 5.6 and php 7 beside the php 5.5. See ispconfig documentation page, there are several tutorials to install additional PHP versions there.

3. morktadela

morktadela New Member

Thanks till,
    I know i can add php versions, but same happens with mysql version and i'm thinking to upgrade server because in few months new version of something else appears and I will have same problem.

Regards,

4. morktadela

morktadela New Member

I really appreciate some tips or help in this.

Thanks

5. till

On the long run, you will probably have to update to Ubuntu 16.04 then. I'm using Debian on my servers and with Debian, live dist upgrades to the next release are working. It should work on Ubuntu as well, but I don't have personal experience with that. But you might ask Florian from ISPConfig business support if he is able to offer you a dist upgrade as a service. There is also one other option, instead of upgrading your current server, get a new one with Ubuntu 16.04 and migrate the ispconfig installation to the new server.

6. morktadela

morktadela New Member

Thanks Till,
    I have a lot of client domain with my server IP (i have digitalocean droplet) creating new one makes me call all clients and some of them don't know about IPs.

Thanks to Digitalocean system i made snapshot and create new server for test. I run following commands:
    Code:
    # I haven't this in environtment
    nano /etc/environment

LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
    LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

#upgrade
    do-release-upgrade

#to get the disk's new UUID, and then updated /etc/fstab with the new value:
    blkid

cp /etc/fstab /run
    nano /run/fstab
    mount --no-mtab --fstab /run/fstab -o remount,rw /
    cp /run/fstab /etc
    reboot

service apparmor stop
    update-rc.d -f apparmor remove
    apt-get remove apparmor apparmor-utils

#I don't know why i need to install php7.0-fpm and mysql-server again
    apt-get install mysql-server php7.0-fpm php7.0-mysql php7.0-curl php7.0-gd php7.0-intl php-pear php-imagick php7.0-imap php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-pspell php7.0-recode php7.0-snmp php7.0-sqlite3 php7.0-tidy php7.0-xmlrpc php7.0-xsl php7.0-zip php7.0-mbstring php7.0-json php7.0-cli

#remove apache, i'm using nginx
    service apache2 stop
    update-rc.d -f apache2 remove
    apt-get remove apache2-bin

#Copy php-fpm config
    cp /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/* /etc/php/7.0/fpm/pool.d/

This made work all webs except one (main problem because is other problem) but i haven't more time to test ispconfig and slave servers.
    Also i need to test email and ftp services.
    There is any command to reinstall ISPConfig?? I have lastest version installed and maybe ispconfig needs some new config !?

Thanks

7. till

download the ispconfig tar.gz, unpack it and run the update.php file in the install folder. Choose to reconfigure services during update.

You might have to adjust the path to the php-fpm socket in the ispconfig nginx vhost after the update, we have already a bugreport for that, as it will use a path to php5 and not php 7.