Use Zimbra Instead of ISPCONFIG's email system

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Sheshman, May 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

Hi,
    I would like to use Zimbra instead of ispconfig's default mail system, when we create a website ispconfig automatically creates an A record as "A mail WAN_IP", if i change this record to my zimbra server's ip will it work?

2. branov

branov Member

Email delivery is determined by MX record. So, if you want to point your email to another email server you have to change MX record.

3. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

4. branov

branov Member

You cannot use IP address as MX record. So, create DNS A record like zimbra.yourodmain.com with its IP address and then for domain where you want to point emails to your zimbra server set MX record to zimbra.yourdomain.com.

5. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

ok, i created dns records as you mentioned (please see attached pictures), and created a testing account on zimbra, i'm sending e-mail to testing account, it doesn't return any error messages lik domain not found or user not found but it doesn't deliver the mail, same happening on smtp sending test mail from zimbra it doesn't return any error but not delivering my outgong mail too.

Forgive me if i didn't understand your directions correctly,i'm a rookie and still trying to learn.

Attached Files:

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Hostname of mx record must be empty or should be just the domain name with a dot at the end, not the mail subdomain.

7. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

like this?

Attached Files:

8. branov

branov Member

yes

9. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

ok now when i ping mail.gorselpackaging.com it replies from 176.236.23.90-which is my zimbra's ip address,
    forwarded all e-mail ports to my zimbra server, i'm sending from gmail account to [email protected], mail is not delivering to [email protected] but not any error message returns to my gmail account,i think if i get response from zimbra's ip address when i ping and all ports are reachable then it's zimbra related issue right?

10. branov

branov Member

DNS zone changes may take up to 24 hours. So, it may be a DNS problem or Zimbra itself problem. Check your logs.

11. Sheshman

Sheshman Member

when i'm configuring my domain at godaddy to forward my server i just created ns1.gorselpackaging.com and ns2.gorselpackaging.com,i didn't create any A or MX records at godaddy, can that cause problem?

12. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter