userid=email address?

Discussion in 'General' started by HackerJL, Mar 21, 2006.

1. HackerJL

HackerJL New Member

New to the ISPconfig world..and wow im impressed. I have it running on a test server right now, and thats all well and fine, but we have a lot of users use squirrelmail. The changeover that I hope to push through is their username is their email address.

Example: instead of a username of web4_bob, let it be [email protected] so that my users dont see or notice a difference in their email programs or the squirrelmail

Is there a way to alias this kinda of action, or set it across the board?

-Thanks!
    James

2. Martin1982

Martin1982 New Member

You can manually edit the /etc/postfix/virtusertable (this is the path for a Debian install, don't know for any others) file.
    And at the server configuration you can delete the prefix so that everyone will have their normal name as their account login, be cautious though because over multiple domains you don't want same usernames

3. HackerJL

HackerJL New Member

What I would like the system to do is automatically generate (or I can manually) use the [email protected]ntion as the username...no option for that?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thats not possible. Linux does not allow the @ sign in usernames and ISPConfig uses system users for the mail accounts.

5. HackerJL

HackerJL New Member

How is it possible that qmail allows it. Thats what this company is running it right now, thats what they have configured into their clients. I would rather not screw with a lot of changes.

I am just wondering..any insite would be all I am looking for..not trying to start a fight..

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff