Username name default.

Discussion in 'General' started by nformosa, Sep 13, 2005.

1. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi again,

When creating email/user usernames i get a default of 'web[clientno]_'. This looks abit awkward and i would like to ask if i can set it up to default the domain name of the client...ie: [new username]@clientdomain.com or at least @clientdomain is enough?

One other thing i would like to ask...

If a domain has 2 email address's (info and support), and someone tries to send an email to [email protected] it possible that this email instead of bouncing back to the sender it goes to the [email protected]!?

Thanks
    Nick

2. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

I could be wrong but I think you cant change the default name, I am sure I read it in another post somewhere.

As for your second point if there is not an e-mail address set up for "admin" then I dont think it can go anywhere, except be bounced back.

That is my understanding of it, but as always I could be wrong I have only had my system set up for about a week now so I am still learning myself.

(P.S put it this way for your second point I know for certain it cant be done on exchnage)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can change it to use the domain instead of the we ID, it is described in the manual. But it is always a prefix. You cant use an @ sign in the usernames, because thei are linux system users and @ signs are not allowed in linux systemuser names.

If you put "admin" in the alias field of the email user "support", the user will gets email for this emailaddress too. If you want that the user support receives all email for addresses that are not available, then check the checkbox "catchall email" for the user support.

4. nformosa

nformosa New Member

aha... so what you're saying is that the result would be somehing like: mydomain_support?

Thanks very much for your help Till!

Nick

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, in the current releases it is always a prefix. If you dont want a prefix at all, you can empty the userprefix field.