Using a different DNS server with Dynamic DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by CombatGod, May 11, 2006.

1. CombatGod

CombatGod New Member

Well I have a 2 part problem. I am using 1&1 DNS services for my DNS server. However, I set up the site and am having a problem as to how I should set up DNS service and where it should point to.

For example I have a site I want: www.mybadasssite.com I set it up in ISPConfig now I'm confused as to where my DNS should point www.mybadasssite.com (just an example). Should I point it to the folder in which the site is contained on my server?

Also, how should I deal using Dynamic DNS? Should I point the DNS of my choice only directly to the IP of my router?

This is my current setup:

My server is set up for the IP 192.168.1.100 I have all my ports on my router opened to 192.168.1.100. I have a Dynamic Address of example.dyndns.com All my settings are set for my network IP address. I can't use my outside address because it's dymanic.

I've look everywhere for help on this and haven't found anything on how to deal with Dynamic IPs and webhosting.

My main problem is PHP is not turned on for the websites I create. Mainly becaue I have my DNS provider point to the folder in which the website is contained. Example: www.mybadasssite.com the DNS points to example.dyndns.com/www.mybadasssite.com/web/index.html where the website files are stored on my server.

However this way it does not enable PHP to be used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or links to where I can find more info and figure it out myself.

I'm new to ISPConfig so any info provided would be greatly appreciated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

DNS records don't pont to folders, they point to IP addresses. You must point the DNS records for www.mybadasssite.com to your router's public IP address.

As dynamic IP addresses are not ideal for web hosting, have a look here:
    http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/features.html

As soon as you get this working, your PHP problem will be gone (it's related to this).