Using FTP

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by latcarf, Aug 30, 2005.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

hhmmm... good question! my limited experience with Linux tells me you are probably referring to using or applying the chmod command. I will start looking at this, am I on the right trail?

I also noticed the config file defines a chroot
    Code:
    # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
      <Limit WRITE SITE_CHMOD>
        DenyAll
      </Limit>
    I pieced this config file together from 2 others available on line. Is this the same type of chroot we did for named/DNS in the Perfect set up for FC4 HowTo? There may be some directory work I need to accomplish that I missed due to lack of experience/knowledge.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, the command is:

chown ftp:ftp /plant

No, this chroot is managed by your FTP daemon internally.

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I used this command and got it to work after I changed it to
    Code:
    #chown ftp:ftp /var/ftp/plant
    I restarted the ftp server then tried to uplaod a file from my Windows box using WS_FTP and I am still getting Permision Denied.

I will have to go through the config file again and try to see what I am missing or not doing correctly. My directory structure for ftp is under /var/ftp then I have /crop wich is where they should download files and /plant where they should be able to upload files. When logging into my ftp site it shows the directory's under /crop. I am already thinking I need to change the login directory so that /crop and /plant both show but that shouldn't effect uploading should it?

Any help would be appreciated though!

gotta go to work , thanks for the help :)

4. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I've changed this, changed that, restarted, stop, started...

still no luck transferring files :(

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Does it change anything when you change
    Code:
    <Limit READ>
      DenyAll
    </Limit>
    to
    Code:
    <Limit READ>
      AllowAll
    </Limit>
    ?

6. latcarf

latcarf New Member

That didn't work but that made me look at other sections similar. Right above the section you quoted is...
    Code:
    # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot
      <Limit WRITE SITE_CHMOD>
        DenyAll
      </Limit>

I changed this to AllowAll and it worked! :) I double checked and it won't let me transfer to anywhere but the /plant directory which is as it should be.

Now... The files transferred (according to WS_FTP) but I couldnt see then on the FTP side of WS_FTP. So I switched my screen over to the ftp box and checked filesystem and sure enough they are there!

I will have to check and see if the asterick I am using in /plant/* is causing this. There are also several folders under /plant that are not showing when I log in with WS_FTP. Same folders under /harvest (previously /crop in the conf above) are under /plant.

Thanks for the help! I see you are back from holiday, hope it was good! Did you go anywhere?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Maybe because of
    Code:
    <Limit READ>
      DenyAll
    </Limit>
    ? ;)

Yes, it was great! I went to Croatia, to the Mediterranean, and enjoyed the sun! :) :)

8. latcarf

latcarf New Member

That was one of the changes I tried already, also changing the variations of /plant with and without the /* following it. No dice so far.

Never been to Croatia myself but I have heard they have some great beaches. :cool:

9. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I finally it figured out! :) When I created the directories under /plant I didn't modify the permissions and they were all under root.

I would like to make it so Anonymous users have to log in using their email address as their password. I thought I saw something on this once but can't seem to find it again. Anyone know how to make this happen?

10. latcarf

latcarf New Member

FTP Log file

I was checking my log file and noticed the date is off.. it shows everything a day ahead e.g. today is posted as 27/Sept/2005 which it is in Germany :) but it is the 26th here. Can I change this?

Also if there is an access and it ends in ""MKD 050926141331p" 550 -" doesn't this mean someone tried to make a directory at my FTP site? That makes me wonder if that is why I see some weird file names instead of the directories I am supposed to see. This only happens when I log in with WS_FTP. If I go to the site with a browser I see what I am supposed to see. :confused: confused again!