Very strange mail problem

Discussion in 'General' started by downsouth, Nov 5, 2018.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Hi
    I have had the server running for about 5 months without any problems. A couple of days ago I noticed in Thunderbird email client that my one email box kept receiving the same email at random times. It always has the same time stame etc. I then noticed that I was receiving no other emails apart from the same one over and over.
    I went into the web mail and saw that instead of being empty all my emails were collecting there. I have figured out that each time a new mail arrives I can see it in the web mail client but in thunderbird I just get a copy of a 3 day old email instead.
    I have updated ISPconfig to the latest version. I have reset the server but it has not fixed this problem.
    Any suggestions as to where I should look to resolve this problem?
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

When you see it correctly in webmail (which is a normal IMAP mail client), then the problem is probably in Thunderbird and not your server.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Hi
    That might be so... It is just strange because I have made no changes to Thunderbird or the server.
    But I did look in the server mail log and I do see that mail in many records as it is sent to the client.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mail servers don't sent mail to the mail client, instead, the mail client connects to the server and pulls the email from the server. Please post the lines that you see in the mail.log for this email.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I am sorry it appears if I was wrong about what I said regarding the log.
    I understand that the client request the mails. Thunderbird is currently configured for pop.
    Is there a log which keeps a record of the request that the client makes?

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

till likes this.
  7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

mmm seems like I spoke too quickly. It downloaded all the emails that were on the server until that time and then stopped and started doing the same again.
    I deleted the mail which it keeps sending down and that has fixed the problem.
    Kind of strange because the mail I deleted did download and apeared to be normal.