View websites without domainname

Discussion in 'General' started by Meamore, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Meamore

Meamore New Member

Hello Guys,
    Iám a new user of ISPConfig 3. The installation on the server workt out fine.
    But i have problems with a client package, our website is stil on some other server with the domainname.
    We wan't to build a new website on the server with ispconfig 3. So far so good, the package is running.

But i want to know in witch way i can test en build a new website on a client package without any domainname.
    At some other host it was someting like this ipadress/~clientname
    I can't find a way how to do that with ispconfig, I have read a lot here but can't find anything that works for me.

Something that simple should be possible right?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Meamore

Meamore New Member

The ip adress from the server you mean. But how does my browser knows with client package i want to open?
    Because the domainname i put in de host file, end in the clientpackage?

Tried that yesterday but windows tells me the file is in use. Nothing was open at that moment.

4. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Windows won't allow changing the hosts file for normal users.
    Make a shortcut to explorer.exe on your desktop, right click it and open it as Administrator ( UAC asking you wether to continue, accept ).
    Then you're able to navigate to the directory and make changes to the hosts file.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

Using ipadress/~clientname like some other panels do it makes not that much sense for this reason: when you install a cms like WordPress then it stores the install url in its database, so when you use such an URL and not the method I linked above, then you have a wrong url in the WordPress db and the site will fail as soon as you switch the real domain to the server. therefore it is much better to use the hosts file as this guarantees that a site works in the exact same way in test and live mode.

6. Meamore

Meamore New Member

That makes sense! Thank you very much, i will try it later to day if it works for me.