Viewing website from with local network using DSL

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Roadracer, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Roadracer

Roadracer New Member

I have run into some new problems since converting to DSL. When viewing websites outside my network, everything works fine, but if I try and access the websites from within my local network (behind the DSL modem), I only get the DSL modem setup menu.

I have asked the modem manufacturer for assistance, but they say to change the listening port to 8080. I would rather not do that.

Is there some way I can view my websites using the server IP, or anyone know how to avoid getting the DSL modem menu?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I guess you forwarded port 80 from your router to your server (I think so because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to access the server from outside your negtwork)?

Maybe your router does not support loopbacks into your local network. I'd ask the router manufacturer.

3. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Two things that you can do.

1) Use a proxy with your browser (your ISP's proxy will do the trick)

2) If you do not want to use a proxy, you can add the domains in the hosts file from the system that you are using to access the server with! (it's NOT the hosts file from the server it self)

If you are using WindowsXP to access the sites, than you will find the needed hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Make sure you add the info correct in the file! LAN IP (of server) 1st and than the domain on the server
    Code:
    # IP 		www.domainname.com
    10.0.0.1 	www.mydomain.com
    10.0.0.1 	beta.mydomain.com
    10.0.0.1 	www.anotherdomain.com
    10.0.0.1 	www.falkotimme.com 

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  4. Roadracer

Roadracer New Member

Thank you, changing the host file worked perfectly.