Virtual Desktop home server using Chromebook as thin clients

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by dvn3ch, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dvn3ch

dvn3ch New Member

Didn't know exactly where to ask this (servers or desktops) but here it goes.
    I want to create a virtual desktop server and use my Chromebooks to serve up various desktop images to them. Keep in mind that I already have a very powerful linux box for a server and three Chromebooks. I don't care if I have to wipe the Chromebook's Google OS to achieve this and I am okay with wiping the existing Linux Mint box (with a dozen or more VM's). I know there are several ways to achieve something like this but I want to serve up choices for testing purposes and for dealing with family differences in opinion about the "better desktop".

So to put an example to this: I want to test a few simple cross-platform programs I made against CentOS, Debian, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, etc. My daughter prefers to run Ubuntu with Cinnamon and my wife refuses to use anything other than Windows 7. So instead of admining three physical laptops and dealing with virus protection on one or more of them, I would like to admin all this from an inexpensive thin client through my virtual desktop server.

I have looked into Docker and probably could figure the server portion out but the thin client using the Chromebook is where I fall short. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated and I apologize if this is addressed already on this site.