Virtual Sites & DNS Setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Jayson Wonder, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Jayson Wonder

Jayson Wonder New Member

Nope, I have no firewall blocking. I have tried access the pages from the server directly and still nothing.

I think this is a problem with my DNS or lack of DNS on the server. After installing ISPconfig I pretty much got confused about what to do with the DNS part of the setup casue there was not much direction on this part of the guide.

What should be in my DNS in regards to master / slave / ptr.. and what about DNS records?

Maybe this is where I am lost?

2. zcworld

zcworld New Member

are you using xp or vista
    i know vista can lock access to the hosts file to stop you from editing it ....

but if the server IP is XXX.XXX.XXX.201
    why don't you update the DNS record yourself via editing them under the DNS management tool
    unless you tryed that

3. Jayson Wonder

Jayson Wonder New Member

Hi,

No,I had no problem editing them in vista, you just need to be admin to do it.

How do I do this? I am not sure what exactly I need to do in the DNS management tool in ISPconfig. I think that is what I am doing wrong. I do not fully understand how to set this part of the software up.

To my knowlege I need to run my own DNS server with zones and have the sites I create in there? Or I can have no DNS server and just use the clients host file to access by name?

I have tried both methods so far but still something is not right or else I am not clear on how DNS needs to work in my situation. Which at this point is to run "Perfect Server" with ISPConfig on a simple a local internal network that still has access to the external world.

Not suppose to be this hard is it?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can run an internal DNS server (e.g. the ISPConfig system) and have the client PCs use that DNS server, OR you modify the hosts files.

5. Jayson Wonder

Jayson Wonder New Member

Hi,

I preffer to do the first method and that is what I have been trying get working in ISPConfig. I think I am missing a step in the "perfect server" setup becuase I do not have any IP alisases setup. When I do ifconfig I do not have any aliases there only my eth0 and wlan0 entries.

Must I create these first? Till responded in another post that ISPConfig does this for you automatically but it has not happended. Where do I check in the software to do this? or should I do it manually?

Any advice is appreciated and might just get me over the hump.

Thanks,

6. falko

Why do you need aliases? You can use eth0.

You must set $go_info["server"]["network_config"] to 1 in /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php.

7. Jayson Wonder

Jayson Wonder New Member

8. falko

If you have multiple IPs, then you need aliases. You can let ISPConfig create them (see my previous post).