Virtual user postfix mailserver problems

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by truent, Jul 13, 2009.

1. truent

truent New Member

Hey, first off.. just wanted to thank you guys for the awesome site, this may be my first post, but i've been enjoying the site for years..

I followed falko's post on installing/configuring postfix with virtual users on ubuntu 9.04, I'm at work currently, but when I get home I can give more detailed configuration file dumps and error logs etc.. so please let me know what will help..

Anyway I followed another guide to install straight up postfix with system users etc, and quickly realized when there was another option for virtual users, that would be better.. so i tried to uninstall/remove completely all the old stuff, but I think i may have botched it somehow because I followed the virtual user tutorial to a t and it's not working..

first off.. falko says in the tutorial that when you telnet into the smtp port, and ehlo, you should see 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN, mine has other options, wondering if that has anything to do with it..

netcat localhost 25
    Code:
    220 domain.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
    ehlo domain.com
    250-domain.com
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 10240000
    250-VRFY
    250-ETRN
    250-STARTTLS
    250-AUTH LOGIN NTLM CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
    250-AUTH=LOGIN NTLM CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-8BITMIME
    250 DSN

But when i send mail to a virtual user, it doesn't create any folders in /home/vmail, and of course when I try and login to pop etc, I get something like ERR chdir Directory not found.. any thoughts?

Also I have no problem wiping all this stuff clean so i can restart the tutorial with a fresh slate.. but thinking maybe a past configuration is making its way through, so how would i do that?

Thanks!

2. truent

truent New Member

Oh i forgot, the only thing i realized i skipped was disabling apparmor.. didn't do that until the second time he mentioned disabling it as it was installed as a dependency, that have anything to do with it?..

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf?
    Did you compare all other configuration files with the ones from the tutorial?

4. truent

truent New Member

whew, got it to work.. i was going crazy thinking about it at work yesterday, just had to get home and dive in..

the problem with directories etc not working.. the mysql*.cf config files had permissions problems,

and as far as me not having "AUTH PLAIN LOGIN".. that was because i mistyped /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf as /etc/postfix/sasl/smtp.conf

ok, so i can receive mails fine, but i think my outbound 25 is getting blocked.. having problems sending to gmail.. get to call my ISP yay!

anyways thanks for the quick response.. just got some things to work out now