Virtual Users and Domain with Postfix etc - Problems after updating postfix

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ryv, Nov 22, 2005.

1. ryv

ryv New Member

Hi Guys,
    firstly let me say the tutorial was excellent. Probably one of the easiest to follow, but maybe a little light in terms of explanation of steps. Nevermind about that though.

I set my system up (Debian Sarge) as per the tutorial and then, as per security rules here, apt-get updated my os. It downloaded and installed a new version of postfix and then I started seeing these errors in my logs, and not receving any new mail:

Errors:

Nov 22 11:00:17 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/virtual pid 7216 exit status 1
    Nov 22 11:00:17 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/virtual: bad command startup -- throttling
    Nov 22 11:01:17 sentinel postfix/virtual[7217]: fatal: mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf: proxy map is not allowed for security sensitive data
    Nov 22 11:01:18 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/virtual pid 7217 exit status 1
    Nov 22 11:01:18 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/virtual: bad command startup -- throttling

I'm not sure what this means and given my conf files look the same as the ones from the tutorial - I don't know where I've gone wrong either. Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks,

ryv

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you tell me your current Postfix version? Run
    Code:
    postconf -d | grep mail_version
    to find out.

3. ryv

ryv New Member

Here is the results of that command:

sentinel:/etc/postfix# postconf -d | grep mail_version
    mail_version = 2.1.5

Thanks

4. falko

Hm, that's ok...
    Please remove all the "proxy:" strings from /etc/postfix/main.cf, e.g. change

Code:
    virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
    to

Code:
    virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf
    and restart Postfix.

5. ryv

ryv New Member

Falko,

I restarted postfix and got the following message:

Nov 23 06:26:44 sentinel postfix/virtual[26916]: fatal: mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_mailboxes.cf: proxy map is not allowed for security sensitive data

I also note that the logs report:
    Nov 23 06:26:45 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/virtual pid 26916 exit status 1
    Nov 23 06:26:45 sentinel postfix/master[7168]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/virtual: bad command startup -- throttling

I've just had 40 odd emails arrive too. It doesn't appear to have stopped mail being delivered, but I'm still concerned about the error.

Thanks!

ryv

6. falko

You have to remove "proxy:" from all lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

7. ryv

ryv New Member

"proxy:" has been removed from all lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf. (and had been at the time of my last post).

The only remaining proxy is the proxy_read_maps line. Does this need to be changed in any way?

8. ryv

ryv New Member

Actually, it's all working OK now. My syslog was a mess (but that's another story).

Thanks Falko for the great tutorial and the help.

ryv