Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL - "apt-get" and Courier

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by burritonator, Mar 15, 2006.

1. burritonator

burritonator New Member

Hello,

I was just starting through the "Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL" tutorial when I ran into a problem. I already have Postfix and MySQL installed on the server I am working with, but I do need to download and install Courier. Therefore, I only issued a portion of the "app-get" command that appears early in the tutorial for downloading and installing the applications. The command that I excuted was:

apt-get install courier-authdaemon courier-authmysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl

After executing the command, I received the messages:
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    E: Couldn't find package courier-authdaemon

I then went to the Fink website (fink.sourceforge.net), and when I searched for packages containing the word "Courier", none were found.

Does this mean that the Courier packages were included in Fink at the time that the tutorial was written, but they are not any longer? If this is the case, how can I obtain the neccesary Courier packages?

I have been to the official website for Courier (www.courier-mta.org) and followed their link to packages.debian.org, where I found that all of the Courier packages referenced in the tutorial are available for download. There are packages available for several different architectures, but I wasn't sure if any of them would work properly on OSX.

What would be the simplest way for me to resolve this issue and get Courier installed on my server?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The tutorail is written for DEBIAN linux, not OSX. So i gues there had never been courier packages in fink.

If you dont get the packages with fink, you will have to compile the packages manually.

If there are no packages especially for OSX, you will have to compile courier from sources.

3. burritonator

burritonator New Member

I thought that the "apt-get" command was part of Fink - in any case, that command didn't function on the server until we installed Fink on it. When the writer of the tutorial specified the command "apt-get install courier-authdaemon courier-authmysql courier-pop courier-pop-ssl courier-imap courier-imap-ssl", I thought that the command instructs the system to download the package from Fink and install it.

Is that where I am going wrong? Is my notion that "apt-get" applies specifically to Fink incorrect?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, apt-get or the apt tools are from DEBIAN linux. Apt has been later ported by the fink project to MacOS X.

In the tutorial you will also find this notice: