Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL...

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by binjured, Jun 11, 2006.

1. binjured

binjured New Member

Dear GOD I am going insane! I have followed two tutorials so far, wiped my entire Debian install once, and this tutorial is the second that has failed to work correctly! When trying to authenticate with the secure pop3 server I get an error returned "-ERR: Login Failed" in Evolution. I checked the syslog and found out this is why:
    Code:
    Jun 11 17:04:53 toolbox pop3d-ssl: Connection, ip=[::ffff:192.168.0.6]
    Jun 11 17:04:53 toolbox authdaemond.mysql: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid=mail_admin)
    Jun 11 17:04:58 toolbox pop3d-ssl: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:192.168.0.6]
    Jun 11 17:05:00 toolbox pop3d-ssl: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:192.168.0.6]
    I have restarted mysql, ensured it is running by simply logging in with the mysql command, checked for whitespace in the authdmysql (or w/e) file... what is going on?? Please help; I was supposed to have this mail server up two days ago :(

Thanks!

2. EvanCarroll

EvanCarroll New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Pay attention to
    You're not connected to mysql. Make sure you have a user called mail_admin and that your server is running -- and at that, accepting ip connections.

3. binjured

binjured New Member

Yes, that's why I posted that section of the log. I am certain the mail_admin user exists, that it can log in, and that the mysql server is running because I have a php script that calls mysql_connect('localhost','mysql_admin','password'); and succeeds. I can also login from the comand line just fine.

4. binjured

binjured New Member

Okay, I figured out the problem was that the auth-mysql package wasn't compatible with mysql 5.0. Unfortunately, I am still screwed because it keeps telling me "LOGIN FAILED" in syslog with no further information!

I tried with Evolution... pop server is "mail.domain.com", postfix myhostname is "mail.domain.com"... what the hell is wrong? Yes, I used ENCRYPT on the password and yes, I know my password :p ... I need to find exactly what values are coming out of there, i.e. what it is checking with against the tables... if it's using the wrong e-mail or something...

EDIT:

This appears to be the query
    Code:
    SELECT email, password, "", 5000, 5000, "/home/vmail", CONCAT(SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',-1),'/',SUBSTRING_INDEX(email,'@',1),'/'), quota, "", "" FROM users WHERE email = "admin"
    notice "WHERE email="admin"... it should be "[email protected]", -r flag to saslauthd PID not working? ...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which howto did you use?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Which distribution do you use? Did you follow the tutorial as close as possible?

7. oriain

oriain New Member

Same Problem..and Maybe a solution

I also noticed as you said auth-mysql package wasn't compatible with mysql 5.0. ..I didnt follow the tutorial as close as possible:eek: (virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier)

What I remember doing to get it to work was :

I changed the mysql password for the user 'mail_admin' I used the OLD_PASSWORD('')

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'mail_admin'@'localhost' = OLD_PASSWORD('***');
    FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I edited the /etc/courier/authmysqlrc

# The server name, userid, and password used to log in.
    MYSQL_SERVER 127.0.0.1
    MYSQL_USERNAME mail_admin
    MYSQL_PASSWORD ***

restarted
    /etc/init.d/courier-authdaemon restart
    /etc/init.d/courier-imap restart
    /etc/init.d/courier-imap-ssl restart
    /etc/init.d/courier-pop restart
    /etc/init.d/courier-pop-ssl restart

Extra Info---
    Debian 3.1
    MySql: Server version = 5.0.22-standard