VMWare Server for Ubuntu Edgy Eft - Problems

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AEngineer, Nov 21, 2006.

1. AEngineer

AEngineer New Member

I'm a linux newbie - running Ubuntu Edgy Eft on a Dell C800 Laptop - it works fine.

I'd very much like to install Windows XP on that machine in a VMWare server, but am having difficulties (I had no problem getting Ubuntu running under VMware server on another XP machine).

I tried to follow the procedures in the post:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_vmware_server
    but ran into problems. I followed the main post down to step 2 where it wanted me to:

apt-get install gcc binutils-doc cpp-doc make manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc libc6-dev-amd64 lib64gcc1

When I saw that I stopped because I don't have a 64-bit processor and feared that I'd be fouling things up.

I then looked down the page and saw the apparently simpler procedure of downloading the rpm and converting it via Alien.
    I did that and all seemed to go well

I ran vmware-config.pl with some errors (below) and found that VMWare Server Console was installed in Applications|System Tools. When I attempted to run it, nothing happened.

I reran vmware-config.pl and copied the errors I found (below).

Can someone help me figure out what to do. I can see either:

1) fixing whatever I didn't do on this install OR
    2) Starting from scratch again, with the right references in that complex line above - what would they be.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Jim Mitchell

********** Excerpted Errors
    In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?
    [/usr/share/pixmaps]

/usr/share/applications/vmware-server.desktop: error: Categories values must be one of "Core", "Development", "Building", "Debugger", "IDE", "GUIDesigner", "Profiling", "RevisionControl", "Translation", "Office", "Calendar", "ContactManagement", "Database", "Dictionary", "Chart", "Email", "Finance", "FlowChart", "PDA", "ProjectManagement", "Presentation", "Spreadsheet", "WordProcessor", "Graphics", "2DGraphics", "VectorGraphics", "RasterGraphics", "3DGraphics", "Scanning", "OCR", "Photography", "Viewer", "Settings", "DesktopSettings", "HardwareSettings", "PackageManager", "Network", "Dialup", "InstantMessaging", "IRCClient", "FileTransfer", "HamRadio", "News", "P2P", "RemoteAccess", "Telephony", "WebBrowser", "WebDevelopment", "AudioVideo", "Audio", "Midi", "Mixer", "Sequencer", "Tuner", "Video", "TV", "AudioVideoEditing", "Player", "Recorder", "DiscBurning", "Game", "ActionGame", "AdventureGame", "ArcadeGame", "BoardGame", "BlocksGame", "CardGame", "KidsGame", "LogicGame", "RolePlaying", "Simulation", "SportsGame", "StrategyGame", "Education", "Art", "Construction", "Music", "Languages", "Science", "Astronomy", "Biology", "Chemistry", "Geology", "Math", "MedicalSoftware", "Physics", "Teaching", "Amusement", "Applet", "Archiving", "Electronics", "Emulator", "Engineering", "FileManager", "Shell", "ScreenSaver", "TeminalEmulator", "TrayIcon", "System", "Filesystem", "Monitor", "Security", "Utility", "Accessibility", "Calculator", "Clock", "TextEditor", "KDE", "GNOME", "GTK", "Qt", "Motif", "Java", "ConsoleOnly" (found "Application")
    desktop-file-install created an invalid desktop file!
    Unable to install the .desktop menu entry file. You must add it to your menus
    by hand.
    /usr/share/applications/vmware-console-uri-handler.desktop: error: Categories values must be one of "Core", "Development", "Building", "Debugger", "IDE", "GUIDesigner", "Profiling", "RevisionControl", "Translation", "Office", "Calendar", "ContactManagement", "Database", "Dictionary", "Chart", "Email", "Finance", "FlowChart", "PDA", "ProjectManagement", "Presentation", "Spreadsheet", "WordProcessor", "Graphics", "2DGraphics", "VectorGraphics", "RasterGraphics", "3DGraphics", "Scanning", "OCR", "Photography", "Viewer", "Settings", "DesktopSettings", "HardwareSettings", "PackageManager", "Network", "Dialup", "InstantMessaging", "IRCClient", "FileTransfer", "HamRadio", "News", "P2P", "RemoteAccess", "Telephony", "WebBrowser", "WebDevelopment", "AudioVideo", "Audio", "Midi", "Mixer", "Sequencer", "Tuner", "Video", "TV", "AudioVideoEditing", "Player", "Recorder", "DiscBurning", "Game", "ActionGame", "AdventureGame", "ArcadeGame", "BoardGame", "BlocksGame", "CardGame", "KidsGame", "LogicGame", "RolePlaying", "Simulation", "SportsGame", "StrategyGame", "Education", "Art", "Construction", "Music", "Languages", "Science", "Astronomy", "Biology", "Chemistry", "Geology", "Math", "MedicalSoftware", "Physics", "Teaching", "Amusement", "Applet", "Archiving", "Electronics", "Emulator", "Engineering", "FileManager", "Shell", "ScreenSaver", "TeminalEmulator", "TrayIcon", "System", "Filesystem", "Monitor", "Security", "Utility", "Accessibility", "Calculator", "Clock", "TextEditor", "KDE", "GNOME", "GTK", "Qt", "Motif", "Java", "ConsoleOnly" (found "Application")
    desktop-file-install created an invalid desktop file!
    Unable to install the .desktop menu entry file. You must add it to your menus
    by hand.
    Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux- headers-2.6.17-10-386'
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/driver.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/hub.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/netif.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/procfs.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
    SHIPPED /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST
    WARNING: could not find /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/.smac_linux.x386.o.cmd for /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
    CC /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-386'
    cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

With my K/X/Ubuntu Edgy install I just needed to get the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd

And if that does not help I was told to get that also:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4

3. AEngineer

AEngineer New Member

Not yet - Right entries for 386 machine

I tried what the previous author suggested and reran
    vmware-config.pl with no luck although the cpp did install

I'd like to try from scratch again, but suspect that I need to subsitute for a 386 processor in the following. Can someone tell me what it should be

apt-get install gcc binutils-doc cpp-doc make manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc libc6-dev-amd64 lib64gcc1

Here's my kernel info
    jem@C800:~$ sudo uname -r
    2.6.17-10-386

Thanks

Jim Mitchell

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

as said, I run xubuntu edgy and had kubuntu dapper before... all I needed to do is this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd

And then the installation of vmware was fine...

6. AEngineer

AEngineer New Member

Further Problems

Following Falko's advice I moved boldly through the original steps. All went well till I ran:

root@C800:/tmp# cd vmware-server-distrib
    root@C800:/tmp/vmware-server-distrib# ./vmware-install.pl

Because I had used the rpm version I got the following sequence

A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

The previous installation was made by the rpm installer (version 3).

Converting the rpm3 installer database format
    to the tar3 installer database format.

error: package VMware-server is not installed
    Failure

Execution aborted.

I don't know how to remove the original version.
    What do I do now?

Jim Mitchell

7. falko

In this case it's best to do a clean reinstall.

8. AEngineer

AEngineer New Member

Clean Reinstall of What?

Re: Falko's suggestion

I hope that you're not saying that I have to completely reinstall Ubuntu because of this error. That sounds very painful.

If it's less than that do I just start at the top of the howto and work my way down again?

9. falko

Yes, I mean a complete reinstall of Ubuntu.

10. l1ng0

l1ng0 New Member

Full reinstall --- sounds like windows to me

It's very rare problems which would require a full reinstall of Ubuntu. You should be able to remove vmware, even if it requires a bit of 'manual labour' in the console to do it.

First of all, if you still have the original install directory from the old version of vmware, then there's an uninstall script within it which might help. I had mine in the following place:

~/downloaded/vmware-server-distrib/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl

Where you put it on your machine will vary, but you can run this file to uninstall the old version if you still have the install directory around.

Otherwise I'd try something like the following:

sudo apt-get autoclean # automatically remove old downloaded packages
    sudo updatedb # This will take a while
    locate vmware > /tmp/vmware.list # find all occurences of vmware in filenames

Then look through the list and try to work out what can be removed. Probably most of it, but you'll want to look at some of the files, and make sure not to delete your virtual machines (*.vmx, usually).

Good luck!

11. bioborg

bioborg New Member

Worked for me

I had the same problem, a bad mix of installs from rpm and alien, gave me that same error, I uninstalled everything, deleted /etc/vmware /root/.vmware /etc/rc*.d/S(or K)20vmware-server and everything else with vmware in it except for /var/lib/vmware/Virtual Servers
    Did an apt-get autoclean, and the tar installer worked fine.