Web-FTP: cannot connect to server localhost

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by schmidtedv, Jun 15, 2006.

1. schmidtedv

schmidtedv Member HowtoForge Supporter

Web-FTP and some other smaller issues

Well, my Problem is a bit confusing, FTP works fine but Web-FTP get's me the message, that it could not connect to localhost...might there be some wrong permissions on folders or any idea?

PS: Falko, I'm correcting / re-translate the german lang-files at the moment, but, there seem to be some variables not catched up by the lang-files (example 'create DNS MX' will not become 'DNS MX anlegen') ...even with the DEV-files it's not getting changed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thsts not a permission problem, as WebFTP connects trugh your FTP server like any other FTP client.

Please check that your FTP daemon listens on all interfaces incl. localhost and that your /etc/hosts file has a correct line pointing localhost to 127.0.0.1

If a line is missing in the german anguage file, please check the english language files if the line is there. Then copy the line to the german language file and translate it.

The english .lng files are the master files and it might be that there are some lines missing in the other languages.

3. schmidtedv

Hosts is ok, bot how can I figure out, if proftpd (standalone) is also listening for connections on localhost?

-lng-files I will check then with the english ones, thx-

4. till

netstat -tap

5. schmidtedv

hm, well, I'm not shure...

Code:
    Aktive Internetverbindungen (Server und stehende Verbindungen)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 localhost:mysql         *:*                     LISTEN     2073/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:81                    *:*                     LISTEN     2283/ispconfig_http
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN     2452/proftpd: (acce
    tcp        0      0 xx-16-250-xxx.in:domain *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp        0      0 xx-16-250-xxx.in:domain *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp        0      0 xx-16-251-xx.int:domain *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost:domain        *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     7167/master
    tcp        0      0 localhost:953           *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp6       0      0 *:imaps                 *:*                     LISTEN     1990/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3s                 *:*                     LISTEN     2011/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN     1998/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:imap2                 *:*                     LISTEN     1977/couriertcpd
    tcp6       0      0 *:www                   *:*                     LISTEN     2313/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     2228/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN     7167/master
    tcp6       0      0 localhost:953           *:*                     LISTEN     2439/named
    tcp6       0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN     2313/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:61883 VERBUNDEN  8476/sshd: root@not
    tcp6       0      0 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:61884 VERBUNDEN  8502/sshd: root@not
    tcp6       0      0 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:62608 VERBUNDEN  9449/sshd: root@not
    tcp6       0      0 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:62006 VERBUNDEN  8722/sshd: root@not
    tcp6       0   1436 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:62670 VERBUNDEN  9533/0
    tcp6       0      0 xx-16-251-xx.intern:ssh p549FA684.dip0.t-:62054 VERBUNDEN  8867/sshd: root@not

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  6. till

FTP listens on all Interfaces. Can you plase try to connect to the FTP account on localhost with a commandline FTP client like ncftp. Did you get an error?

7. schmidtedv

well, I have winSCP and Putty here on my XP...and can connect via IE 6...maybe put something like: proftpd: localhost : ALLOW in my hosts.allow?

8. till

You can not test this from your wiXP client!

Login to your server with putty from WinXP and then open a commandline FTP client and try to connect to your FTP server on localhost.

9. schmidtedv

...connection with ncftp and one of the users over localhost works!

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Which distribution do you use?

11. schmidtedv

debian 3.1 (your guide, but with a ground-config-image from netdirect dedicated-server) and ISP 2.3

Everything went fine, no errors in log, well, but web-ftp is not possible. Something else that could be responsible?

12. falko

What's in /etc/hosts? What's the output of
    Code:
    iptables -L
    ?
    Did you change anything in the ISPConfig sources or something similar? Is maybe the ISPConfig web interface running with PHP Safe Mode enabled or something like that?

13. schmidtedv

Code:
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target     prot opt source               destination
    Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Code:
    [SIZE=1]
    ### etherconf DEBCONF AREA. DO NOT EDIT THIS AREA OR INSERT TEXT BEFORE IT.
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    [/SIZE]
    pftpd.conf

Code:
    [SIZE=1]
    ServerName "FTP"
    ServerType standalone
    ServerIdent on "FTP-Server bereit..."
    DeferWelcome off
    Port 21
    Umask 022
    DefaultRoot ~
    MultilineRFC2228 on
    DefaultServer on
    ShowSymlinks on
    TimeoutNoTransfer 600
    TimeoutStalled 600
    TimeoutIdle 1200
    DisplayLogin welcome.msg
    DisplayFirstChdir .message
    ListOptions "-l"
    DenyFilter \*.*/
    IdentLookups off
    MaxInstances 30
    User nobody
    Group nogroup
    AllowOverwrite on
    Include /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf
    [/SIZE]
    Wie kontrolliere ich den Save Mode?

14. till

If you dont changed the ohp.ini in /root/ispconfig/php/ then safemode is off.

15. falko

Please change
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    to
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

16. schmidtedv

same issue with that...maybe I use too long passwords or something else stupid that doesn't let me in?

I will (if that's ok) put some logs etc. as attachment (postfix puts out something I'm not shure, if it's an error, like "terminating on signal 15")

Actually, folder "/home/ftp" has user:group = ftp:nogroup, should that maybe nouser:nogroup?

EDIT: A hint for local-host-names..I added the 2 domains at the bottom, because I have these as reverse DNS for my other 2 IP's....is that ok?

EDIT: Attachments deleted! Case fixed!

17. schmidtedv

...this post only for the rest of files

EDIT: and a question...can I stop pftpd sending error-message to root, if it detects, that ftp server isn't running? this seems to be just because i configured it to be "standalone", am I right? but now i get every 30 minutes the error-mail without having a real error...

EDIT: Attachments deleted! Case fixed!

18. falko

This message is sent to you by ISPConfig, not Proftpd.
    You can change this behaviour under Management -> Server -> Services -> Monitoring. :)

19. schmidtedv

So, for this issue I would just add a rule for port 21 not to monitor ftp-server...right? THX, that's easy :)

Any idea for some of the other stuff? Seems that the only file getting viewed is ftpuser, LOL :)

EDIT: PS: Would there be something I might have to change in the standard Firewall-Rules, if turned On, so that Outlook with Imap-Account will not bring up an error, or shouldn't this have happened in a normal configuration?

If the monitoring actually is a feature that sends mail to root, then why is aliases originally not edited for ISPConfig-Admin to receive the mails? I put mailadress manually in there for all system-messages...but I didn'T know, that ISPConfig uses this entrances too; so otherwise I wouldn't have gotten any warning-mail...correct...?

The warning is not sended to an real mailaccount without editing aliases (because there it get's to user root), just to explain,!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  20. falko

You must open port 143 in your firewall (and 995 if you want to use IMAPs).

You can set the admin email address under Management -> Server -> Settings. The default address is root@localhost.