webdav - Existing lock(s) on the requested resource prevent an exclusive lock. [423, #0]

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by spazio, Feb 7, 2022.

1. spazio

spazio Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,

I just deploy a new server with debian lastest and ispconfig latest with the autoinstall script from here:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/

Everything looks to work ok but upon creating some webdav share. I have two issues:
    The first one:
    I can only copy smaller than 50kb. When I try to copy bigger files I get this error in the webdav website log file:
    [Mon Feb 07 11:57:43.325195 2022] [dav:error] [pid 4024878:tid 140241674987264] [client x.x.x.x:64972] Could not LOCK /webdav/test/L45-Lounge-7298.jpg due to a failed precondition (e.g. other locks). [423, #0]
    [Mon Feb 07 11:57:43.325225 2022] [dav:error] [pid 4024878:tid 140241674987264] [client x.x.x.x:64972] Existing lock(s) on the requested resource prevent an exclusive lock. [423, #0]
    I imagine there is a package missing! Anybody have an idea?

The second one:
    When I edit docx or xlsx files microsoft office it doesn't work. Telling me the file is not accessible. But if I edit the files with libreoffice or only office it works! This one is weird... Well it 's microsoft.
    Anybody have a solution for this issue?

Thanks
    Spazio

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I don't use WebDAV myself, but the AI should install all necessary plugins.

Maybe the permissions aren't OK?

3. spazio

spazio Member HowtoForge Supporter

They are the default vanilla settings of ISPconfig. After some research I found this:
    https://www.webdavsystem.com/server/documentation/ms_office_read_only/
    That state "Microsoft Office can open files from a WebDAV server and save them back to the server without the need to download them to local file system. To achieve this the following conditions must be met:
    1. Your WebDAV server must support Class 2. Microsoft Office locks documents when creating and opening files for editing. If Microsoft Office is unable to lock the document it will be opened as read-only.
    2. And another regarding office 2007 but There is no this issue with MS Office 2010 and later versions

So Looks like we need to be Class 2 compliant!

Any idea on how to achieved this?
    Thnaks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I can't tell you if apache mod_dav web server is class 2 compliant.

This error looks to me as if 2 client applications are accessing the file at the same time.