webmail over port 81 issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by SurfingAlien, Jan 27, 2006.

1. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi All!!!!!

A number of my users are not able to access webmail (from their work) because they're behind a firewall that does not allow http(s) over port 81.

Is there a way to make this work over the default 443 port?

I know that I probably have to sacrifice the possibility of running https pages on regular websites, but that's ok.

On the other hand, I know that Apache 2.x can be configured to redirect incoming traffic to another URL and maybe even a different port...

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
    Peter

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The easiest solution would be to create a web site in ISPConfig, e.g. webmail.example.com, and then to install a web mail software like Uebimiau or Squirrelmail in it.

3. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi Falco,

This probably is the best way... Even users will like it! As soon as I get access to my provider's DNS editor I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Peter

4. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Any chance of a step-by-step set of instructions for that?

5. smelkomar

smelkomar Guest

Yeah, I can't find step-by-step instructions too... From ISPConfig' site has a webmail.zip file which contains 3 files:

webmail.tar.gz
    nav.inc.php << what can do this file?
    package.inc << and this???

But I'm lucky... because UebiMiau has a Bulgarian translation :D

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Dont unpack the webmail.pkg file! Its in zip format, but is named .pkg because you should not unpack it! Just upload the .pkg file with the update function and uebimiau installs automatically.

7. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Yes, but if you do that, isn't it installed on the admin URL on port 81? That's not accessible through many firewalls - including the one where I'm working today!

8. lerra

lerra New Member

Try using reverse proxying in apache. internet port 80 -> apache -> localhost:81 -> ispconfig.
    But i think u need to do some fixes with url and things like that in ispconfig

9. till

You can run the ISPConfig apache webserver on port 80 or 443 too, but then you will need another IP that is assigned only to the ISPConfig apache webserver.

10. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

I've tried to do that, but without any success. For some reason, I've not managed to do it. I got a separate IP address, but didn't manage to get Apache2 and Apache1 to stick to their own IP and ports.

I tried and tried, but at the point of http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7628#post7628 I gave up. I couldn't get it to work.

11. till

It is possible to configure this like falko described it in the post, I've done this on one or two servers. But i dont have access to the httpd.conf files anymore to post a copy of the config.

12. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Yes, I'm sure it is possible, but I failed to manage. I wish I'd gone for cpanel, to be honest.

Till and Falko do their best to offer support, but it seems to stop after a few ideas, and you wait for days for a reply. With a paid-for service I could expect a speedy response, but this is free, so it's not reasonable to grumble.

13. till

You can get commercial support from projektfarm GmbH for ISPConfig too including email spport, remote login, complete installations etc. There is no difference to cpanel.

14. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

I must object to the above! I REALLY don't think Till & Falko stop after a few ideas. Besides that, in my personal experience I've never ever had to "wait for days" to get a reply, and I guess that most other ISPConfig user agree with me on that! These guys donate their free time to this project, and help as best as they can!

Stating that you'd wish you'd gone for cpanel is a little below the belt, don't you think...

In my opinion this is totally uncalled for...

Till & Falko, in my book you're great and, again, I think lots of others agree with me 100%

Regards,
    Peter

15. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Thanks for that. Maybe that's the way forward. We have cpanel on a different (managed) server, and I much prefer ISPConfig, but cpanel just works.
    I can't find anywhere on the projecktfarm.com to get support for ISPConfig. How do I ask for help there?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  16. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Sorry, but it's a fact. There is nothing to agree or disagree about. I have had to wait days for replies.
    Agreed, and much appreciated it is too. As I said, I'm not grumbling. They do a great job, and for free. I just wish I'd gone for a paid-for product.
    We have differing opinions. I now wish I'd gone for a paid-for service because I realise that I need more support than is reasonable to expect for free. I wasn't aware that paid-for support is available for ISPConfig. I'll see if I can find it!

17. falko

Just to let you know: I've been on holidays the last 17 days, and even then I spent hours on the forum every day to help as much as I could. I'm really felling frustrated and disappointed right now to hear you say something like that. :(

I know forums and mailing list where I never got an answer to my questions...

To your problem: Simply create a web site like webmail.example.com in ISPConfig, and in that web site you can install a webmail package like Squirrelmail, Uebimiau, etc. If you want to use Uebimiau, don't use the one from the ISPConfig web site, but the one from the Uebimiau web site.

18. falko

BTW: professional support is available under info [at] projektfarm.de. Just drop us an email. :)

19. SurfingAlien

SurfingAlien New Member

Hi Falko,

Don't get too frustrated & disappointed over people like this. I'm pretty sure there are many people who do appreciate all the work you do to help 'em out.

All it takes is to look at the number of posts you've made since you started, and the same goes for Till too; that speaks for itself!

BTW, I hope you've had a very good vacation: you've earned it :)

Peter

20. smelkomar

smelkomar Guest

I think that the number of posts is not too important... The most important is the posts help somebody... like me, like everybody in this forum (Thanks God for this forum!) ;)