WebMin vs ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by bemenaker, Feb 22, 2006.

1. bemenaker

bemenaker New Member

I had not heard of ISPconfig before today. I am running Webmin on my CentOS box. It sounds like they are similar programs, if I am understanding correctly. What are the pros and cons of one versus the other?

Thank you

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

ISPConfig is more user-friendly, i.e., you don't need Linux knowledge. And you have 4 levels of administration: admin, resellers, customers, and users.

With Webmin, you can administrate nearly everything on your server, but you don't have these 4 levels like in ISPConfig, and you must have knowledge about what you do. Webmin isn't a tool I'd give to an end-user.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Webmin is more a general purpose controlpanel. You can configure nearly every service with it, but you need to know exactly what you are doing and how things work on linux.

ISPConfig is focused on webhosting (webserver, mailserver, DNS, FTP) and is more user friendly and easier to handle when you dont have that much linux knowledge.

4. cmsits

cmsits New Member

Support seems better with webmin lol

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you post your questions to the correct forum, in this case the ispconfig forum and not a general forum for non idpconfig questions, then you will get a fast answer ;)