Website path and Website symlinks modifying after the installation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lnxgs, Feb 4, 2016.

1. lnxgs

lnxgs Member

Hi,
    I installed Ispconfig 3. Some websites perform bad because the page composition involves many files (Wordpress with many plug-in enabled).
    I notice that most of syscalls performed by a php-fpm process are lstat:

0.000055 stat("/var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/wp-includes/default-constants.php", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=9217, ...}) = 0
    0.000029 lstat("/var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/wp-includes/default-constants.php", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=9217, ...}) = 0
    0.000025 lstat("/var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/wp-includes", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=12288, ...}) = 0
    0.000024 lstat("/var/www/clients/client1/web31/web", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0711, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000023 lstat("/var/www/clients/client1/web31", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000023 lstat("/var/www/clients/client1", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000023 lstat("/var/www/clients", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000022 lstat("/var/www", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000022 lstat("/var", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0755, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
    0.000022 fcntl(4, F_SETLKW, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=1}) = 0
    0.000018 fcntl(4, F_SETLKW, {type=F_UNLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=1}) = 0

For a single file request, I have 8 syscalls to verify the permissions. :(

So I would like to reduce this overhead, avoiding some "nesting" folders.
    Can I replace /var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/ with something like /www/web31/web/ for existing websites?
    If so, any drawback?

Regards,
    L.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

The difference in time with the change you proposed is only .000001 seconds. So say you have 1000 files that are being checked, that's a total of .001 seconds. I don't know for certain the answer to your question (ie. can that be changed?), but I suspect it is "no" - however even if it is yes, I don't think saving the time to lstat 3 directory levels less is the performance boost you're needing.

3. lnxgs

lnxgs Member

Hi,
    thank you for your precious suggestion.
    I implemented opcache then I retraced the process and no so much syscalls...
    What I found a little bit stupid that everything is checked many times: if the process opens /var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/index.php after a while /var/www/clients/client1/web31/web/second.php (they both are on the same folder), the entire path is checked twice.
    However, on new servers where I will install Ispconfig 3 from scratch, I will find a shorter path.

Regards,
    L.

4. Jesse Norell

The entire path is checked, which is less efficient, but it's very quick (millions of a second), so I wouldn't worry much about that. The info is cached in memory, you aren't accessing the disk for those repeated checks.

Have you looked at HHVM? I know almost nothing about it, but do remember this article: https://kinsta.com/blog/the-definitive-php-7-final-version-hhvm-benchmark/ - someone working on hhvm with ispconfig setup was posting in the forums here not terribly long ago, so might be something worth a look.

5. lnxgs

lnxgs Member

Hi Jesse,
    I installed PHP 7 with opchache file cache enabled with PHP-FPM and many lstat syscalls disappear. This helps a lot... when you have roughly 90k of lstat for a single home page (WP + many plug-ins), I think it is not so good.

Regards,
    L.

6. Jesse Norell

If you haven't done so, add a caching plugin to your wordpress site and it should help a lot (not on the issues you had when wordpress does fully load, but for pages you have in cache you avoid all of that).