What packages i need to install when I just want to forward emails?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lebaux, Jun 7, 2018.

1. lebaux

lebaux New Member

I use my server only for website hosting. I would like to use the mail portion of ISPConfig just to redirect mails to other gmails. When I was not using ISPConfig, all I needed was postifix and properly configured /etc/postfix/virtual file. Since I am already using ISPConfig, I figured I might as well use its GUI, but for the love of all mighty I can’t get it work. I based my installation on Perfect debian 9 tutorial. I don’t want to have own SMTP, POP3, no Roundcube, no antispam, no nothing. All I need is to forward the mail. Also the websites use php mail() to send mail, but I assume this is included in php packages.

It seems that installing these packages is not enough (and then configuring ISPConfig on top of that):
    Code:
    apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc
    Lastly, if I just forward those emails, do i need to use DKIM, will it even work? My appologies for silly questions, setting up mail servers was always bit of a weakness for me.

What I am missing? Do i need to add dovecot? Thanks for your time and answer!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

ISPConfig manual has chapter on installing a separete e-mail server. I assume those packages mentioned there are needed on a working e-mail server.
    I would install the email following the howto, maybe turn off some feature if it not to be used.

3. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You'll need to install amavis to use the configuration ISPConfig creates; otherwise you'll have to do some custom postfix config to not try to filter it through amavis.

4. lebaux

lebaux New Member

Thanks for a prompt reply! I was really trying to avoid using amavis, as I pretty much don’t care about the contents of the emails and I run into issues on my previous server. This looks like it is going to be more complex than I imagined.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You can install all mail packages from the tutorial, then just select a very permissive policy in spam filter settings for the domain