Where to Install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by latcarf, Aug 10, 2005.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

the nameserver is authoritative on my network only for now. I am transferring my domain to a DNS service today where I can register my nameservers. My external zone file
    Code:
    @		IN	SOA	ns1.thefractalfarm.net.	lance.thefractalfarm.net. ( 

20050812	; serial 

3H

3H

1W

1D )

NS	ns1.thefractalfarm.net.

MX	10	mail.thefractalfarm.net.
    localhost		A	127.0.0.1

server1			A	192.168.2.3  ; master server also contains ISPConf

ns1			CNAME	server1  ;master nameserver

www			CNAME	server1  ;thefractalfarm.net

ftp			CNAME	server1  ;thefractalfarm.net

mail			CNAME	server1  ; thefractalfarm.net primary
    As you can see server1 is the host name tied to 192.168.2.3, since they are the same machine I have ns1 with the CNAME server1.

Near as I can tell this should be correct. Right now any internet records for thefractalfarm.net are tied to my current host untill the transfer goes through.

ISPConf worked before I did the reload (because I hosed the /etc files and spread them to the wind, oops). Maybe now that the DNS records are in there it may be a good idea to reload ISPConf, what do you think?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is what I found out about server1.thefractalfarm.net: it points to 70.61.19.54, not to 192.168.2.3, and the authoritative name servers are remote1.easydns.com, remote2.easydns.com, ns1.easydns.com and ns2.easydns.com. If you want to change the IP address of server1.thefractalfarm.net, you have to tell these name servers, not the one running in your local net.

Re-installing ISPConfig won't help, but you can still use the IP address instead of server1.thefractalfarm.net in config.inc.php.

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Yes, I transferred my domain yesterday to easyDNS.

I did a dig on thefractalfarm.net and it is still appearing under my old hosts IP. I thinl I need to go back into the easyDNS interface and point from easyDNS to my box.

thefractalfarm.net point to 70.61.19.54 (ISP static IP), then
    server1.thefractalfarm.net to 192.168.2.3 (localhost with ISPConfig, www, ftm, mail)

would you agree?

4. falko

Yes, you could point server1.thefractalfarm.net to 192.168.2.3 or to your public IP address, but then you must configure your router for port forwarding, tell him to forward requests on port 81 to the IP address 192.168.2.3.

5. latcarf

latcarf New Member

the "virtual servers" on my router look just like the List of Standard Ports on page 14 of the ISPConfig manual except I did add another "Webserver" with the ports set to 81 TCP on Friday.

6. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I think I need to have a better understanding of what ISPConfig is/does. Is it basically a hosting service program. e.g. all I have to do is register a domain and point it to my IP and then ISPConfig does the rest?

p.s. I should add that I entered the IP as you stated in a previous post and it went directly to the ISPConfig login and I was able to log in and view/change settings with no problem.

I think part of the problem may have been my /etc/hosts file. There were only 2 entries, localhost and server1.thefractalfarm.net but it was pointing to my old web host IP for some reason :confused: I added my static IP pointing to thefractalfarm.net and changed the IP of server1 from my old web host mt network IP that it is on.

I could go and login as server1 but it was taking forever to load the menus and when it finally did there seemed to be some view errors for icons on the right side. They showed up as if they were broken links.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

Why add it to your hosts file? If you set the DNS Records correctly that is not nescessary.

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241

8. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Okay with the first question answered; Does ISPConfig update my DNS records? e.g. forward and reverse zone files for my domain.

For the second question answered; Good question! But it worked. I did go in later and add thefractalfarm.net and my static IP to the zone file for my domain. I also went back and removed the entry for my domain and IP from the host file. Remember I am new to this and learning (slowly but surely!).

For the last question answered; I did edit the file again replacing the IP with www.thefractalfarm.net and the connection was refused. I am sure there is a reason I just don't understand it yet. So I went back in and edited the file to server1.thefractalfarm.net (hostname of the box I am writing this on) and Bingo! I was at the admin login and evrything was fine after I logged in. well, it logged me in and everything "looked" good anyway... :eek:

thanks for the info and help :)

Now my DNS record....
    Code:
    $TTL 1D

@		IN	SOA	ns1.thefractalfarm.net.	lance.thefractalfarm.net. ( 

2005081202	; serial 

3H

3H

1W

1D )

NS	ns1.thefractalfarm.net.

MX	10	mail.thefractalfarm.net.
    localhost		A	127.0.0.1
    thefractalfarm.net.	A	70.61.19.54

server1			A	192.168.2.3

ns1			CNAME	server1

www			CNAME	server1

ftp			CNAME	server1

mail			CNAME	server1

Does this look correct? This is a "view-external" zone file so it does not declare my other server which provides the secondary services for nameserver and mail.

9. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I was just going through ISPConfig and the manual and noticed under Management>Server>Settings>Web that the Document root is /home/www. Do my html files for my page need to be here somewhere? Or do I treat myself as a customer and set up a page that way?

/home/www currently has a folder for server1.thefractalfarm.net which contains another folder called log with a folder in it called 2005 and a file called web.log.

10. falko

/home/www is fine; if you want to use suExec then I'd recommend /var/www (see http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4, at the end).

11. latcarf

latcarf New Member

thanks falko :)

After much frustration I turned off ISPConfig for now.

I am so new at this I haven't even really learned Linux not to mention server operations on top of that. I am going to step back and concentrate on those first. I really only want to host my site and maybe one for my wife when I get more experience.

I transferred my domain over the weekend and will know if I am getting anywhere with my Linux/server education as soon as everything goes through.

Maybe down the road when I get a handle on the basics I can turn ISPConfig back on and host for some friends.

I do appreciate the patience you, till, and other memebrs have shown me. :)

I still have some basic operation questions but I will put them in a section where they are applicable.

thanks
    Lance

p.s. as I asked before I will still be linking your site, I am redesigning my site so it will be in the new one when I get it done

12. falko

Great! :) :)