Which distro uses the lest resources

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by domino, Sep 24, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

Im trying to find the Perfect Linux distro to install ISPConfig. I'm looking for a distro that uses the least amount of memory and drive space. I have already tried F3/ F4, Deb, and RedHat. Maybe anyone can tell me which will be best used in an virtual environemt like VMware or Virtual PC?

Is it remotly possbile to install ISPConfig on Damn Small Linux (DSL) or something light weight like that?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'd use Debian! It seems to consume less resources than the other ones under VMware. :)

Damn Small Linux isn't supported by ISPConfig...

3. domino

domino New Member

Yea, will try getting Debian up on VMware. I've tried it on a native install and I couldn't tell the difference in speed :D. I've been shuffling and resizing partitions for 2 days (pain in the butt!).. But I finally got how I want them and I wont run Linux native anymore. I have to iron out some kinks on MacTel. Afterwards will install Debian on virual. I'll post back in about 12hrs :(.

Is there some things lacking in DSL that ISPC can not be installed on it? I would love to install DSL on a thumb drive along with ISPC for demo purposes.

4. domino

domino New Member

Hmm, which distro do I want or you recommend for Debian? I see Sarge and maybe 1 or 2 other versions. Do I want the DVD or the CD version. If CD, do I want to download all 5 CDs? Or just download the 1st one? If DVD, do I want to download all 3 DVDs or just the first one?

Thanks

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you have a fast internet connection (DSL or cable modem), i recommend to download just the first CD from DEBIAN 3.1 (Sarge) and the select a http source as install media during setup.

6. domino

domino New Member

hehe, that a double edged sword. I have a fast enough connection but very unreliable at times. It must be nice to live in De ;). So Debian 3.1 (Sarge) it is. If I can get hold of the DVD version, would you recommend it over the normal 80min. CD?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to work as diskjockey, use the CD's, otherwise the DVD :D

8. domino

domino New Member

LOL. I'm much too lazy for that and I picked a few tricks, such as DAEMON Tools :D. Well, time to get the ISO. Thanks for the support.

9. domino

domino New Member

Hi,

Some of the applications that I need to install isn't in the DVD. How can I configure Apt to switch to HTTP instead of using the DVD? If possible, please copy/paste your APT sources.list so that it chacks the DVD first. If not found, it will check the repos.

Thanks

10. Tripple

Tripple New Member

Why not a complete netinstall?
    http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch