Which way now?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mindswept, Sep 8, 2008.

1. mindswept

mindswept New Member

Hi all, I will try to make this as short as possible. I have taken a liking to Ubuntu 8.04 (Server). I am a small business (IT), finding more and more clients using small linux boxes for adminstration needs. I have an opportunity to start from sctratch in my own office, (yes machines died), and would like to build a basic server for myself that I can change fairly readily for testing depending on individual client needs.

Machines I have handy are
    Athlon 64 3200 with 1GB RAM
    Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800 1GB RAM

2 X 160GB SATA HDD's
    1 X 40GB IDE HDD (Was thinking could be used as install drive????????)

I can sought out the odd's and ends, any starting points and basic installation idea's would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I have been running Fedora Core 8 for around 6 months comfortably.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. mindswept

mindswept New Member

I actually used that setup during my testing phase, it was excellent. I did come across two things that concerned me

I had big problems with GRUB, (error 15 message), during loading after install.

Ubuntu makes it a lot easier to set up all of your drives during install, but what is the best or "correct" way?

I thankyou for your time Falko, while I am a convert to Linux systems, being hardened with Microsoft terminolgy has at times made interpretation difficult. Many of your posts and ideas has lifted much cloud

4. mindswept

mindswept New Member

Sorry, and as a PS,

Can I run the above mentioned setup with all services running at once, eg, web, mail, domain, fileserver etc, without it turning into a maintenance nightmare..................

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, but you might want to install a control panel (such as ISPConfig ;)).