Why ispconfig_update.sh chooses to use root@'public_ip' instead of root@localhost?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Mladen, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Mladen

Mladen New Member

Hi,
    First of all thank you for this great product. I can't stress enough how many times it helped me do some things quickly and reliably. So thank you :)
    Next, I'm trying to update ispconfig on one of my machines where the update script shows these errors:
    Code:
    >> Update 

Operating System: Debian 11.0 (Bullseye) or compatible

This application will update ISPConfig 3 on your server.

Shall the script create a ISPConfig backup in /var/backup/ now? (yes,no) [yes]: no

Checking MariaDB version 10.5.21 .. OK
    PHP Warning:  mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1130): Host 'x.y.w.z' is not allowed to connect to this MariaDB server in /tmp/update_runner.sh.ttuaVYm3Mc/install/lib/mysql.lib.php on line 112
    PHP Warning:  mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, bool given in /tmp/update_runner.sh.ttuaVYm3Mc/install/lib/mysql.lib.php on line 113
    Checking ISPConfig database ..

What makes the update script want to use the public ip of that machine instead of simply root@localhost to connect to db?
    Thank you all for any tips.
    Cheers

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Likely a misconfiguration in the /etc/hosts file of your system for localhost.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. Mladen

Mladen New Member

Thank you till. Your answer led me in the right direction, eventually manually running the script update_runner.sh from /tmp in order to figure out what was going on. It turned out that mariadb on the master server wasn't properly resolving reverse hostname for that particular slave server. Quite weird, considering PTR record is fine... Anyway, I've encountered suggestions to turn off hostname lookups (skip-name-resolve) through PTR dns records to avoid having dependencies on dns while using mariadb. Do you have any opinion on this subject perhaps?

Thank you once again for your help.
    Cheers

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Can you share the content of /etc/hosts ?

5. Mladen

Mladen New Member

Sure, here it is (host1 and host2 are hostnames for this slave server):
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    #127.0.1.1      host1.example.com host2.example.com

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    I've commented out 127.0.1.1 but got the same error, which later turned out was generated from master server db, not accepting sql connection from slave, using user root@IP_of_slave...

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What is the content of /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php (leave out the db password)?