Wordpress or laravel framework (performance)

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by Tom John, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Guys,
    i want to setup a website with a multivendor shop where vendors can register and open their own shop and sell their products.
    I expect many users about 20.000 up.
    The question is do i work with woocommerce and multivendor plugin or is a solution with php laravel framework better?
    From my point of view if many people use the website i can get soon problems with performance.
    What is your opinion about that?
    thanks a lot for your comments and for your kind help.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

20000 users total? or concurrent?

I've no experience of Laravel as a shop, but from what experience I do have, I would not recommend it.
    woocommerce, can scale, you'd need a bloody big server for 20000 concurrent users though.

for something like this, especially if you expect a lot of different vendors, and a lot of concurrent users, you may want to consider magento instead.
    it's what it was designed for, although it's quite a steep learning curve to start with. and it was quite a resource hog, I've never used magento 2 though, only up to 1.9.*, it's supposedly improved performance/resource requirements quite a bit.
    I reckon you'd still want to use varnish cache in front of it though...

3. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

i think about 20.000 users total.
    but what if the shop goes well and i have concurrent 20.000 users, do i have in wordpress the option to put 1 website on more servers?
    thanks for your idea about magento... i will think about this as well
    thanks so much

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

yes, although that leads to it's own problems.... shared file systems, MySQL clusters, read-write splitting, replication etc.
    load balancing. session management etc.

couple of possible (aws centric) solutions here :
    https://medium.com/@naveed125/how-t...ordpress-cluster-almost-for-free-d1a9e4c79ab5
    https://thecode.co/moving-wordpress-to-multiserver/

although I've found moving MySQL to it's own server improves scalabilty, it has performance drawbacks. wordpress seems to make every MySQL request in sequence, and there can be a lot of them, even with a high bandwidth low latency link between the web/php server and the MySQL server, it can still end up taking a long time to get all the data required to build a page. a mostly read only site with good caching mitigates that, but a searchable/filterable shop is going to be one of the most cache unfriendly sites.

also, for the 2nd link, for what it suggests for the session management, I think i'd be much more inclined to use a redis server.