Wrong Master_user when updating with ispconfig_update.sh

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ITI, Oct 30, 2017.

1. ITI

ITI Member

In a multi-server configuration and performing an update with the ispconfig_update.sh script the default value for the "MySQL master server root username" is "root".
    command line output:
    Code:
    MySQL master server hostname [my_server]:
    MySQL master server port []:
    MySQL master server root username [root]:
    MySQL master server root password []:
    MySQL master server database name [dbispconfig]:

Why aren't the values stored in config.inc.php being used which contains:
    config.inc.php:
    Code:
    //** Database settings for the master DB. This setting is only used in multiserver setups
    $conf['dbmaster_type']            = 'mysql';
    $conf['dbmaster_host']            = 'my_server';
    $conf['dbmaster_port']            = '3333';
    $conf['dbmaster_database']        = 'dbispconfig';
    $conf['dbmaster_user']            = 'ispcmyserver';
    $conf['dbmaster_password']        = 'verystrongpassword';

We shouldn't have to access config.inc.php to see and use these variable values.
    Am I missing something?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Because the user that is stored in that file is not a MySQL user that is suitable for the update. The update requires the root MySQL user of the master and it's password and not the low privileged user that is used in config.inc.php

3. ITI

ITI Member

I did re-run an update using the user in the file and it seemed to work even though it didn't have root privileges on the master_database.
    I guess what it amounts to is that I don't agree with using a user named "root" as a default in any application.
    Having a config var with an alternate user name/pw with root privileges is more appropriate than defaulting to "root".

In my case the default user "root" doesn't have access to the master_db so I will continue using my alternate username/pw which has root privileges. Now that I am aware that root privileges may be required I won't use the user/pw in the file.

Thank you for the reply.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The installer simply suggests that name, you can enter any name you want there. And ISPConfig does not store that master user with root privileges and password on the server locally for security reasons.