Xen on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by kmand, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kmand

kmand New Member

I'm trying to setup Xen on a Ubuntu 8.04 laptop. I followed the instructions in

Installing Xen On An Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Server

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-8.04-server-install-xen-from-ubuntu-repositories

I haven't gotten as far as adding a guest, I'm stuck on the reboot with the Xen kernel.

When I boot, Xen seems to be going OK, and tells me its giving up the VGA. A little time goes on and then the VGA screen clears, after which there is no response to the keyboard or anything more on the screen.

The laptop does in fact answer pings, and in fact accepts ssh connections. However, the ssh connections just hang with no response.

I get the same behavior if I substitute "console=vga" for "console=ttyx" on the grub kernel params. The laptop has no serial port.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 currently patched to kernel 2.6.24-20. I did not take the suggestion of using the 2.6.24-16 workaround xen kernel. I thought the network problem it adressed may have been fixed by -20, and at any rate it would not effect the console problem.

Any suggestions?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I haven't used Xen on an Ubuntu desktop yet, only on a server. Maybe the Ubuntu Xen kernel is a server kernel and does not support many graphics cards.

3. praatiy

praatiy New Member

I am also facing the same problem but I using ubuntu 8.10 with the latest kernel 2.6.27-*.
    I just wanted to know that was anybody able to solve this problem?If yes, please let me know the solution.Any useful link will also be useful.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
    Prateek

4. falko

5. matey

matey New Member

That happenes some times? All you have to do use the Alt F2 or Fx key(s) to use ttyx. TTY1 gets busy with some thing and I have Not figured it out yet?
    (none of control C, Z, D work either.

Now can some body please tell me how I go about using XEN in 8.10?

I setup a xen guest on my server64 but I cannot access it via xm command because I get a lot of errors.
    I manually downloaded xen.3.3.gz and ran install.sh , it too gave me errors saying I have to run make inst 1st.
    So I did but then again I got an error line 51 of script was referring to a place or file which do not exist??1

Any way I tried to load xen manually in my menu.lst but the server freezes and will Not boot!?

Can some body let the rest of us with this problem know what to do?

Thanks.
    PS I know there is no support for xen in 8.10 but people found work-arounds.

6. matey

matey New Member

hey falko;
    God bless you for this:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-xen-3.3-with-kernel-2.6.27-on-ubuntu-8.10-x86_64

I am installing the updates etc, right now but from the looks of it , seems like you left no stones unturned.
    I mean the menu.lst and the /boot or grub/ directories and files are enough to eat your lunch!
    very good instructions indeed!
    Thanks!

PS, One thing is not worth for me to waste time on is the kind of half-hearted (or any other body parts of your choice ;)) instructions.
    I am new to this so when I got my first error about /etc/xen-config file item "dist = Hardy", it took me a while to figure out how to make a link to gutsy.d (under /usr/lib/xen-tools/ ) and call it intrepid to make it work (I was thinking to change my lsb_release value but not a good idea) .... heh well It made the domU but xm returns a lot of errors and that is what I am working on now.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. falko

What half-hearted instructions? :confused:

8. matey

matey New Member

I mean the other instructions I found before yours. the web is full of them.

they dont give much details and details are very important.
    I am new to this and I still have a hard time with simple man files, too many [[[]]] square brackets, :confused: let alone setting up xen.

9. Loro

Loro New Member

hey falko,
    i try to setup an Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 Server and XEN. So I used this howto http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-xen-3.3-with-kernel-2.6.27-on-ubuntu-8.10-x86_64. But I can't set up any Guest Systems.

The commad
    ends with System installation failed. Aborting

Logfile produced at:

And this ist the log file.

And this happens always. How can i solve this Probelm?

10. falko

Try to use a more recent Ubuntu version or Debian Lenny.

11. Loro

Loro New Member

Thanks, I try it with gusty, hard and intrepid. It works with the last one, but if I Try to start the Guest System with sudo xm create webserver.cfg the System-State ist listet as blocked (xm list).

How i get it run?

12. falko

Any errors in your logs? What's the output of
    Code:
    xm list
    ? Can you connect to the guest console?

13. Loro

Loro New Member

The output of xm list ist
    This is the output, if I try to connect to the guest console.
    The log File
    It seems so, that severl archives are not available.

If i try to create an new guest System, the Logfile contains the "old error"

14. falko

Is there a problem resolving archive.ubuntu.com? What's in /etc/resolv.conf?

15. Loro

Loro New Member

It's the Router IP-Adress
    I change it now to web namesever "nameserver 212.227.123.29"

16. Loro

Loro New Member

Dosen't work.... The Logfile dosen't contains anny errors. But the Guestsystem state ist b

xm list
    The logfile:

17. falko

And you cannot connect to the guest's console?
    Code:
    xm console webserver
    What was the exact xen-create-image command you used? What's in the guest's configuration file?

18. matey

matey New Member

I had the problem with booting the xen guest.
    Did you use xm create -c switch ?
    then you can see the process.

When there was problem of me not seeing the logon screen but I could ssh to it, I figured out that my image was made using hardy but the xen-tools.conf was set to etch.
    I deleted the whole xen guest and rebuilt it , now works like a charm.

this is how I started;

apt-get install ubuntu-xen-server
    apt-get install lvm2

Edit the /etc/modules file and change the line that reads 'loop' to read:

loop max_loop=64

Create the lvm drive we will use for virtual machines by issuing the following commands:

pvcreate /dev/sda3 (or whatever LVM partition you have) I suggest for noobs like me to do an fdisk -l before to see which part. is 8e
    vgcreate vg1 /dev/sda3 (vg1 Or whatever you name it ?)

reboot the server

edit /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf file and add the following lines;
    lvm=vg1
    dist=hardy #(Or whatever is listed in /usr/share/debootstrap/script/ if its not listed there dont use it)
    gateway=192.168.0.1 (or whatever your IP address is)
    netmask=255.255.0.0
    broadcast=192.168.255.255
    passwd=1
    mirror=http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    size=8Gb (or whatever size you want)
    dhcp=1
    arch=amd64 (If yours is i386 change this or you'll get errors like bash is wrong version, etc.)

Make sure look in this file to rem the other instances of the same things if listed. Or they get read first?! Then use this;

xen-create-image --hostname=webserver (or whatever name)

this may take a while but then it will ask you for root password . type it twice and you're home free.

Dont forget to an apt-get update and install the component which are missing ...(i.e. ftp)etc..

BTW
    I'd copy the webserver.conf to webserver and then edit it and increase your memory to like 256 Mb (RAM) and then try
    xm create -c webserver

see if it comes up cuz 128 is not really enuff memory.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009