XMPP with ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by theWeird, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Gerd

Gerd New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,
    thank you for adding the XMPP function to ISPConfig. I would love to use it, but i do not manage to get it working. Perhaps you can give me a hint where to look for the error.

It seems as the client (ihave tried gajim, pidgin, conversations and empaty) try to get a list of auth mechanisms and metronome is not willing to send it?

In /etc/metronome/metronome.dbg get:

c2sebfcd0 debug Received[c2s_unauthed]: <iq id='7' type='get'>
    mod_router debug Stanza of type iq from c2s_unauthed has xmlns: jabber:iq:auth
    mod_router debug Unhandled c2s_unauthed stanza: iq; xmlns=jabber:iq:auth

When i log the jabber conversation from the client side i get:

SENDING: <iq type='get' id='purpledb857591'><query xmlns='jabber:iq:auth'><username>XY</username></query></iq>
    RECEIVED: (137): <iq id='purpledb857591' type='error'><error type='cancel'><service-unavailable xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas'/></error></iq>

The metronome external auth command /usr/lib/metronome/isp-modules/mod_auth_external/authenticate_isp.sh is never called by metronome.

Best regards,

Gerd

2. ccoudsi

ccoudsi New Member

Hi Guys,
    I just updated my ISPConfig to Version: 3.1.2 on my ubuntu 16.04, and now lost my Metronome/Turn server, I removed and added new domain and users, I get an error message from my client says "Server not compatible" then I went back and updated all the files per this thread now i'm getting user not authorized I'm 100% sure the xmpp user password of the client match the server xmpp user password !!!
    Code:
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   accepted incoming client connection from: xxx.xxx.183.53 54267 to 5222
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      info    Client connected
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Client sent opening <stream:stream> to xxxx.com
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Sent reply <stream:stream> to client
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Received[c2s_unauthed]: <starttls xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-tls'>
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   try to start ssl at client id: 1917f40
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   ssl session delayed until writebuffer is empty...
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   TLS negotiation started for c2s_unauthed...
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   starting ssl handshake after writing
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   starting handshake...
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   ssl handshake of client with id:table: 0x1917f40, attempt:1
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   ssl handshake of client with id:table: 0x1917f40, attempt:2
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   ssl handshake of client with id:table: 0x1917f40, attempt:3
    Feb 05 11:42:59 socket  debug   ssl handshake done
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Client sent opening <stream:stream> to xxxxx.com
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Sent reply <stream:stream> to client
    Feb 05 11:42:59 c2s1917f40      debug   Received[c2s_unauthed]: <auth mechanism='PLAIN' xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'>
    Feb 05 11:42:59 xxxxx.com:auth_external        debug   test_password check: admin xxxxxxxxxxx
    Feb 05 11:42:59 xxxxx.com:auth_external        debug   Opening process /usr/lib/metronome/isp-modules/mod_auth_external/authenticate_isp.sh
    Feb 05 11:42:59 xxxxx.com:auth_external        debug   send_query check: auth:admin:xxxxx.com:xxxxxxxxxx

Feb 05 11:42:59 xxxx.com:saslauth     debug   sasl reply: <failure xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'><not-authorized/><text>Unable to authorize you with the authentication credentials you&apos;ve sent</text></failure>

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  3. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Hello Friends,
    Could you show one working example of Metronome on ISPConfig 3.1.2? I still don't know how to configure it.
    Thank you in advance. :rolleyes:

4. theWeird

theWeird Member

Hey guys
    first of all, I apologize for the issues with my modification.
    The plugin I use for authentication is from prosodys community plugin repository. Influenced by metronome being a fork of prosody, it also worked with metronome by the time I pushed my modification.
    My reasons for choosing metronome was the much faster implementation of new XEPs used by clients and the flexibility of the multi-file storage compared to prosodys single file storage.

Unfortunatly in the 16 month between my merge request and the new ISPConfig release there was a new debian release and some major changes to metronome. I still can't persuade metronome to authenticate using the prosody auth module ...
    Furthermore the metronome main developer was not really a big help.

The last months I had some serious family issues to handle and am working on my bachelor thesis at the moment.
    Afterwards I will implement the following changes to the XMPP support:
    • Migrage from metronome to prosody
    • Write a guide for migrating already installed metronome servers
    • Write a setup guide for perfect server setup tutorials supporting current debian and ubuntu releases
    So, expect a working version for prosody this autumn. And again, sorry for the problems coming from choosing metronome.

Workaround for the meantime:
    If you want to provide XMPP now, you can uninstall all metronome-related stuff and follow the default setup instructions from http://prosody.im. Afterwards you can use for example mod_auth_imap (prosody community module) to authenticate users using your mailserver (https://modules.prosody.im/type_auth.html).
    Unfortunatly you will have to follow the prosody sample config to configure the XMPP hosts yourself. It wont work using the generated metronome config files.

5. niktel

niktel New Member

It works for me. I can help. What have you done already? What questions are there?

6. concept21

concept21 Active Member

I have done nothing. Just looking at the config files. :p

Could you post your config files here? Does Metronome require a trusted SSL cet to work? :rolleyes:

7. niktel

niktel New Member

All settings are made via ispconfig. Create a domain in the XMPP section, create a certificate in the same place. You need to replace the contents of the module mod_auth_external from"small update" (https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/xmpp-with-ispconfig.68501/page-2#post-351845)!!! After that everything works

till likes this.
  8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

The log reported:
    ==========
    general error At least one active host is required for Metronome to function. Exiting...
    general error No enabled VirtualHost entries found in the config file.
    ==========
    How do I correct it? :rolleyes:

In addition, there is no such file under /opt/metronome/plugins/mod_auth_external.lua

9. niktel

niktel New Member

/usr/lib/metronome/isp-modules/mod_auth_external/mod_auth_external.lua

10. concept21

concept21 Active Member

OK! Thank You!
    And which ports do we have to open for Metronome? :rolleyes:

11. niktel

niktel New Member

for firewall tcp ports: 5222, 5223, 5269, 5280,5290, 5291, 5292

12. concept21

concept21 Active Member

I have installed your /usr/lib/metronome/isp-modules/mod_auth_external/mod_auth_external.lua. Then, I tried to create an XMPP instance inside the ispconfig panel but failed! It asked me to fill in the registration URL. I don't have it. How do I correct it? :oops:

Attached Files:

13. niktel

niktel New Member

You only need to specify a domain and create a certificate. All the rest can not be specified.

14. concept21

concept21 Active Member

No matter what I fill in, it will show this. How do I correct it? :(
    My system is Ubuntu 16.04, php 7.0, ISPConfig 3.1.2.

Attached Files:

15. alexalouit

alexalouit New Member

Hi guys,
    I have a question (I'm not familiar with metronome / prosody),
    What if we use mod auth sql update for ispconfig,
    This will be more reliable, and my primary concern is, sasl/sha will working (many xmpp client are only sasl compatible)?

EDIT:
    I have adapted a plugin, require only one file (mod_auth_ispconfig.lua / ~130 lines)

config could be generate by ispconfig installer in metronome global.conf
    Code:
    ispconfig = {
            serverid = ;
            database = "dbispconfig";
            host = "localhost";
            port = 3306;
            username = "ispconfig";
            password = "";
    };
    Only things i've don't do is support for SCRAM-SHA-1 (that's purpose), DIGEST-MD5 and PLAIN works fine.
    The last point i don't understand (and that is problematic). Why store passwords in database with php encryption instead of a mysql embedded function?

So I can handle that (installer, password database storage, (sha-1?)) and push it into the Ispconfig repository, only if you find it's useful.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  16. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Good. Please contact Till to confirm it. :)

17. fefu

fefu New Member

till likes this.
  18. fefu

fefu New Member