yet another postfix mess...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by alexolivan, Oct 10, 2014.

1. alexolivan

alexolivan Member

Hi forum!

I got an ISPConfig 3 up and running, which is emailing mostly correct, but it fails when used in a certain scenario/way:

The server is intended now also intended to be used as an smtp server to be used by a series of little apliances.
    The appliances are connected to Internet and their IPs are DNS resolvable

The target is to avoid the apliances to run postfix/exim since they are limited in resources, but let them share a common smtp server so they can send email automatic / alert stuff.... the appliances are using a minimal debian install and are using ssmtp as smtp client to send out mail.

The probelm I'm facing is that the server is generating huge logs plenty of entries like this:
    Oct 10 14:25:05 isp postfix/qmgr[15912]: 8827C9420BB: from=<[email protected]>, size=3908, nrcpt=2 (queue active)
    Oct 10 14:25:05 isp postfix/smtp[32014]: connect to someapliance.mydomain.com[x.x.x.x.x]:25: Connection refused

I do not understand why Isp tries to connect to the originating host instead of relaying normally the email to the intended final human gmail account...

...note the server seems to work otherwise normally...

Maybe someone gots a clue...

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Check the mails in the queu, they must have a to address that points to the hsotname of the sattelite appliances and therefor it gets forwarded back.

3. alexolivan

alexolivan Member

aha...Ok... that gives me a clue!

the really bizarre thing is that appliances are able to send some mails.... but some not...
    Your coment points me to some problem regarding to: field in the mail origin so ISP would be entirely OK.
    I have to look for a pattern on the miss / vs success mailing.

Anyhow I have to focus on satellite SSMTP config.

Would post positive results either and mark as solved if finally I could address the situation.

Thank you very much!!!!