Your Server in under heavy load

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by senormedia, Sep 29, 2023.

1. senormedia

senormedia Member HowtoForge Supporter

Im getting Your Server in under heavy load, how do i go about finding the problem, i have to keep doing service mariadb restart so the sites works

i currently only have 2 wordpress sites on the server

is it the space?

Attached Files:

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, the problem is not the size of the harddisk. But it might be RAM or your site is indeed highly loaded or someone runs a dos attack against your server. Check with top command if you have enough free ram and which processes produce the high load. You might also wat to check the access.log files of the sites to see which of the site receives so much traffic.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. senormedia

would i free up memory using swapon -s,
    i checked the access logs dont look like much
    once of my sites has 140gb of traffic could that be it

Attached Files:

4. till

You can add Swap, but as memory is currently not an issue, it may make no difference. How high is the load that you have and which processes cause the load? You can e.g. use the top command to check that.

Gaston Girardi and ahrasis like this.
  5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

as @till suggested.. use the top command..
    see what is actually under load... cpu? disk io?
    also. you say one of the sites has 140gb of traffic, but access logs don't look like much?
    what time period is that 140gb of traffic over? considering the size of most sites... 140gb of traffic over a month could be quite substantial, and should certainly create rather large access logs..

there's all sorts of possibilities here... simply lots of traffic to a popular site... ddos... badly written script/plugin. problems with a hard disk..
    maybe one of those sites got hacked and is actively trying to attack other sites.. or a cypto-miner got installed...

6. senormedia

i disabled all my sites bu still getting same error,
    how can i go about fixing this

7. till

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you ever write what and where gives you that warning?

9. senormedia

i think it might be some old stuff or docker not sure yet, im going to try and keep chekcing htop to see every detail
    or do you recommend just getting a new server
    either way ill post answer here once i find it

10. till

You can use the top command to see which applications cause the high load and after you identified which apps cause it, you can take actions against that. I don't see a reason to get a new server, unless you find out using top that the high load is just the normal traffic, which might has increased, and the server is too small to handle that now. But until then, try to find out which processes cause this load using e.g. top command.

11. senormedia

i updated the server and upgrade then rebooted, its been 2 days now and it has not gone down, before it would go down every. hour.
    Is it possible it just needed that?
    im going thru the htop, i saw a couple of stuff there that i need to remove but right now its working again normal

12. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

it's possible.. it's also possible it hasn't.
    maybe the reboot, or the changes are just hiding the problem. newer php could mean some bad (old) code is erroring rather than running, or whatever was causing the problem just hasn't been run again yet, if it's still there.. just dormant.. waiting to re-occur..

which is why you were advised to find out what is causing the problem rather than just switching to a new server.
    instead, you've just done some random updates/upgrades to the whole system hoping something would resolve the problem.. which is pretty much the same effect as just moving to a new server..
    you don't know if the problem is fixed.. you can't know if the problem is fixed.. because you never actually found out what the problem is.

doing the work to find the problem would also have aided you in the long term... learning how to find, diagnose and resolve problems..
    the next time you run into an issue taking a service or whole server out, and i can guarantee that will happen to you..., you'd at least have some idea of how to troubleshoot it.. instead you're going to be stuck again.. hoping installing some random update will resolve the issue, or having to wait for someone on a forum somewhere to try helping you again.