zlib and bzip support in PHP

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by todvard, Apr 27, 2006.

1. todvard

todvard ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hello,

i have a small problem with php in ISPConfig, it is compiled without zlib and bzip support. It could lead to problems when one trying to use phpmyadmin's export/import compression feature. After recompiling php with "--with-zlib --with-bz2" it started to work. If this is not interfering with ISPconfig then it would be nice to make it enabled in next versions.

Thank you,
    Tod.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's not interfering with ISPConfig, but these switches have some dependencies (i.e., zlib must be installed, bzip2 must be installed), and we want to have a PHP5 that compiles on as much computers as possible. For example, on a computer where no bzip2 is installed, --with-bz2 will fail.

3. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Aha.. so that is why phpmyadmin goes into a loop and hicups at 99% usage on the ispconfig_httpd process?

Can't we just have a switch to handle bzip at install? Check for bzip and if so activate for compilation.

4. falko

phpMyAdmin doesn't offer to bzip2 SQL dumps if there's no bzip2 support in PHP...

5. jang

jang New Member

Well maybe phpMyAdmin doesn't offer gzip compression for SQL, but still it does offer Open Document download, for which gzip-compression is needed.
    It doesn't work now and will confuse customers.

My main Apache PHP-module has gz and bz support.

I think the switch Norman supposed is a good thing, it will enhance phpMyAdmin for most people.

If I want to update my ISPconfig to 2.2.9, how should I do it to enable gzip/bz support in phpmyadmin.

Thx,

Jang

6. falko

You must compile gzip/bz support into ISPConfig's PHP5. The configure statement for ISPConfig's PHP5 is in install_ispconfig/compile_aps/compile.

7. jang

jang New Member

Thx Falko,

I've added --with-zlib and now I've got gz compression in phpMyAdmin.
    It's awesome. :)

8. edison

edison New Member

Hello,

I have the same problem (no gzip in phpmyadmin).

Can you indicate to me the procedure (how to) for recompile PHP with these options.

I have Debian 4, PHP 5, ISPconfig 2.2.13 with some sites in production.

Thank you.

9. falko

The configure statement for ISPConfig's PHP5 is in install_ispconfig/compile_aps/compile. Just adjust it to your needs.

10. mlz

mlz Member

It would be nice to offer switched to the installer to allow gzip xml, etc to pass on to the compile stage. It would make things much easier for those of us with special requirements for IPSConfigs PHP subsystem.

11. edison

edison New Member

Ok, if I understood you, I must restart the installation process and the compilation of ispconfig which lasts 30mn or more. It is secure for the sites in production?

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, the sites were not interrupted, only the controlpanel itself is unavailable. Please make sure that you make a bacjup of the directories /home/admispconfig, /root/ispconfig and the ISPConfig database in case anything goes wrong during update.