Beginner Learning Command Line

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Caitlin Meinecke, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Caitlin Meinecke

Caitlin Meinecke New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new to Linux and am learning all of the commands in the command line for one of my classes. It is quite overwhelming to memorize, so I was curious what the more experienced learners did to memorize all the commands and phrases so that is has become second nature to you. Are there places outside of the virtual labs for my class that I can use to practice? I appreciate any help or insight!

Thank you!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. wileywalker

wileywalker New Member

Its all kind of english if you look at it long enough x)

Write bash scripts. That should help too. Other than that just uninstall your graphical system and spend one day on the command line :p

Might be a bit harsh, but try to do EVERYTHING (or as much as possible) on the command line from now on.Open .pdf files (start the graphical pdf viewer from the command line, create directories, remove files, and so on. Evertyhing the GUI can do, the CLI can do too.

4. mangoldwen

mangoldwen New Member

I presume it will be hard when you start, but it will come easy to remember over time. Try Cheat Sheet, there are available online freely.

5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

don't bother trying to memorize everything. you won't and there's no point..
    use google..
    the commands you use need to use regularly you'll start to remember with enough repetition.
    the one's you use less regularly, you'll still end up memorizing most of them.. but even now, with 25+ years of experience, i still end up occasionally double checking the syntax for some commands.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. MaxT

MaxT Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

7. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Same here, with some bookmarks for the important ones.

8. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

full ack. also a good way to keep up2speed with changes or get ideas out of issues other people have.